News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Photo Uploads?

Started by Mark Stevens, September 07, 2008, 03:58:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Stevens

I pride myself in my willingness to show my a** to the world, showing no fear in the face of 'net-wide humiliation.  Well, here I go again.  :o
You see, as the Administrator of the forum, the person that installed the software and configured its operation, I should know how to use it, but I can't figure out how users are supposed to upload photos! I know how I upload them, which is simply upload the images to the server via FTP, just as I would do any file pertaining to my website. Then it's a simple matter of placing the path into the message.  But registered users are supposed to be able to upload images to the server as well, and I just don't see how/where it is done.  I know that some of you have already posted pictures, but they all appear to be hosted on another server, using photobucket or the like.  That's fine, but there's supposed to be an easier way...
anyone know?  ???

bingster

Let me try something...

= DARRIN =

bingster

That's the attachment feature figured out.  I don't see a feature to insert photos, though.  But I'm totally new to this forum software.  I do like it--it gives a boatload of formatting options not available in PHP forum software.

It's probably in there somewhere, Mark.  It'll just take a bit more poking around to find it.
= DARRIN =

Mark Stevens

My only other experience with forum software, from the administrative end, is with vBulletin, and so far I like Simple Machines Forum a lot better.  vBulletin was also challenging in regards to image uploading.  I've read the docs on the Simple Machines website, but can't find anything that directly addresses this issue.  I've scoured the administrator configuration stuff, and have specifically selected to allow user attachments... I'm sort of at a loss! 
I'll tell you what bingster, I'll give you a little while to have a brainstorm, then I'll really show my a** by posting the question on the forum on the Simple Machines website!   :o

Mark Stevens

OK bingster, here's something for you to try. You know how you attached an image, with a text link appearing at the bottom of the message? Do that, but then, in the body of your image at the point you want the picture to appear, click on the button (above the composing window, where all the text options are, like bold, italics, etc.) that looks like a landscape. That will create opening and closing img codes, in brackets.  Place the file name ( of the file that you've already attached) between the two bracketed img codes.  Does that make the image appear in the post? 

bingster

test test test...

...test test test
= DARRIN =

bingster

Nope, that's not it either.
= DARRIN =

Mark Stevens

OK, let me try something:

SCORE!!!
Here's what happened, and I think this makes me an even bigger idiot than I was afraid of being:
I failed to put a check into a little box next to, "Make attachments appear as images below posts".
DOH!
Now, magically, all the attachments in the forum have blossomed into real, live pictures!  Sorry for putting your through all that, bingster!

bingster

Nifty!  Glad you got it worked out. :)
= DARRIN =

Mark Stevens

Quote from: bingster on September 07, 2008, 10:34:18 PM
Nifty!  Glad you got it worked out. :)
Yea, I'm just sorry that I had you working the problem while I was running around like a chicken with its head cut off. It would have been much easier to figure out if only the Preview mode did its job better. Even when you've got it right, the image doesn't appear in Preview!  I just made a new message area called News, and I've detailed the process of image posting there.  I imagine that it's a question that will be asked frequently!

andre_janew

I dare you two to post the same photos using today's system!

Weco355aman

I had issues with trying to up load photos. The I changed the size on my camera and retook the pictures.
The setting that worked for me was 640 x 480.
The pictures are not as good when doing this, but it works.
Uploaded  without any problems.
Phil

TelePlay

Quote from: andre_janew on January 04, 2017, 05:05:02 PM
I dare you two to post the same photos using today's system!

Wow, I think the last post sets a record for the oldest "dead" topic ever revived.

I'll take the challenge. Reading through the topic, I see two issues. The first was setting the forum software so attached images display as full size, and not previews thumbnails requiring clicking to open up to full size. Glad they got that figured out right. Would be a real pain to have to click on every thumbnail attached to see what it really looks like.

The other issue is posting using external links to photos. Maybe that's how that problem got started, the thumbnail image was found to be ineffective so members started to post images using external links to Photobucket, eBay and of course, Picasa over time. That was first noted in 9/7/08

Quote from: Mark Stevens on September 07, 2008, 03:58:34 PM
I know that some of you have already posted pictures, but they all appear to be hosted on another server, using photobucket or the like.  That's fine, but there's supposed to be an easier way...

A correct way to includes images in the text of posts was also discovered in this post on that same date

Quote from: Mark Stevens on September 07, 2008, 07:36:56 PM
OK bingster, here's something for you to try. You know how you attached an image, with a text link appearing at the bottom of the message? Do that, but then, in the body of your image at the point you want the picture to appear, click on the button (above the composing window, where all the text options are, like bold, italics, etc.) that looks like a landscape. That will create opening and closing img codes, in brackets.  Place the file name ( of the file that you've already attached) between the two bracketed img codes.  Does that make the image appear in the post?

This can be done as shown below but it is difficult in that first the post must be saved with the attached image, viewed, the image location recorded and then the post opened up to be modified by putting the image location into the text of the post. Can be done but very tedious. Easier to just attach and reference in some way in the describing text of the post.

Yes, it can be done and here is image in the test

of the exact same image posted below. Will be there even after a "picasal" epic tragedy. This topic has nothing to do with the security flag issue fully discussed elsewhere on the forum.