News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Silent Whitt St. Mich. Westm Westminster Chimes Help

Started by Doug Rose, August 22, 2021, 09:24:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

I know its a longshot. Janet found this beauty at a yard sale yesterday for $15.

It is a newer  clock that works off the clock winding. All three are wound but not to tight. No batteries.

Clock keeps perfect time with a little tweaking, great clicking of the pendulum BUT I cannot get the Westminster Chimes to chime. There is no on off switch. There is the brass pull on the right which does not seem to do anything.

When I google, I don't get much, just other Brands.

Is Silent Whitt St. Mich. Westm a division of Howard Miller?

I cannot even get a picture of it on line. No model number and just Silent Whitt St. Mich. Westm very tiny (magnifying glass tiny)on the side of the clock face

Any help is greatly appreciated....Doug

Kidphone

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Doug Rose on August 22, 2021, 09:24:52 AM
I There is no on off switch. There is the brass pull on the right which does not seem to do anything.

In my mind the 'pull' would be to silence the chime.
I think the chime should be active if the pull is pushed in.

Basically, my guess is the brass pull is the chime switch and most likely works in the 'in' position

If you are troubleshooting the chime, I would start there.
This is just a guess.
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Doug Rose

Quote from: Jim Stettler on August 22, 2021, 09:43:09 AM
In my mind the 'pull' would be to silence the chime.
I think the chime should be active if the pull is pushed in.

Basically, my guess is the brass pull is the chime switch and most likely works in the 'in' position

If you are troubleshooting the chime, I would start there.
This is just a guess.
Jim
Thanks Jim...my guess as well. Unfortunately I cannot get to the mechanism without removing it from the clock, these is no door in the back.

We are getting Henri and I have two granddaughters so maybe tomorrow I will take it apart. I appreciate your insight...Doug
Kidphone

SUnset2

Is there a selector on the "Silent Whitt St. Mich. Westm" markings?  My Howard Miller uses that to disable the chimes or select the pattern.

Doug Rose

Quote from: SUnset2 on August 23, 2021, 01:43:21 AM
Is there a selector on the "Silent Whitt St. Mich. Westm" markings?  My Howard Miller uses that to disable the chimes or select the pattern.

Paul....that would be too easy!  ::) There is nothing. Last time I had this issue with my Howard Miller, I had to oil the chimes. There is no back entrance so I will have to remove the mechanism to oil  :'( ......many thanks...Doug
Kidphone

RB

Doug.
are there screws on the rear that would allow the whole clock to come out?
or will you have to remove the hands and face?
did you get that plunger thing to move???
Regards
Rod

Doug Rose

Rod...there are eight tiny screws on the back, I removed them today and I could slide the back panel out of the case. To oil it properly, I had to remove the mechanism from the back panel.

I oiled the clock and the chimes and it started to chime. Chimes got stronger as the oil found its way into the mechanism.

The Brass Pull mystery has been solved now that I could see the chimes. All the way up and the chimes were turned off. Three different pulls changed the Westminster chimes for a different chime cadence. Once the Pull was oiled, it worked properly.

Sounding stronger as stronger as the clock runs. Just fine tuning the faster/slower of the pendulum, which can be frustrating. All in all, quite happy with it.....Doug
Kidphone