News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Bell System telephone almanacs

Started by Matilo Telephones, November 10, 2016, 05:50:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matilo Telephones

These 4 telephone almanacs arrived today. Printed for the Bell system subscribers by the American Telephone & Telegraph co.
Not sure why they were made. Does anybody know the story behind these?
I bought the years 1936, 37, 38 and 39. They contain background articles on history, bell telephone, and info on the years evenths, given in monthly lists. There is also some astronomical info, like the moonphases and sunrise and sunset times.
Groeten,

Arwin

Check out my telephone website: http://www.matilo.eu/?lang=en

And I am on facebook too: www.facebook.com/matilosvintagetelephones

unbeldi

Yes, they are kind of nice.  I have most of them from the 1950s.
The were printed separately by or for each Bell company.  I think, basically they are a marketing tool, to inform about services and keep everyone a happy customer.  Often new telephones and features were briefly introduced as available, see below.

unbeldi

Jim Stettler

They were phone company  giveaways .An almanac was popular reading choice, lots of fun stuff and good information, It was free from the phone company, even if you didn't have a phone. Just stop in and  pick one up.
They could be ordered thru AT&T  and customized* for the entity that ordered it.

I have seen AT&T, Western Electric, as well as regional  Bell companies. Some of them are from employee "book rack services"**.

JMO,
Jim S.

Some collectors like to find their Birthday year.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*The typical changes were  "Company name", and sometimes the addition of 1-3 sheets of custom info.
The custom info is most likely on  the sheet inside the front cover, and/or the center-fold sheet. I have also seen an additional sheet over the cover. (It was the front cover and 3 pages of custom).
-------------------------------------------
**(Per back cover). The custom sheets typical include safety, the safety creed, and marketing to the consumer. 

You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Matilo Telephones

Thanks guys. I googled them, but could only find ones for sale without any real information about them.

They are lovely. Very nice illustrations too.
Groeten,

Arwin

Check out my telephone website: http://www.matilo.eu/?lang=en

And I am on facebook too: www.facebook.com/matilosvintagetelephones