News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Ringer boxes

Started by Steve, June 19, 2009, 10:03:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve

I need to bite the bullet guys, and dump the mini network in my 202 for a ringer box. I have been looking around and was wondering.. will the ringer box need to be Western electric? is it possible to use an Automatic electric? what about a Kellogg or Stromberg? what about model #'s? what should I avoid as far as compatibility and side tone issues?

If you're a long way from home,
Can't sleep at night.
Grab your telephone,
Something just ain't right.

foots

I too need to get a subset for a 202.
"Ain't Worryin' 'Bout Nothin"

Phonesrfun

According to information I have, the proper subsets for the 202 would be either the earlier metal 634, or the later bakelite covered and smaller 684.  Both are antisidetone subsets, and the later 684's with the 101A induction coil is the equivalent electrically to the 302 base.  In fact Ray Kotke makes a cover of his own design that covers a standard 302 base that makes it look pretty much like a 684.  So, if you have a 302 with a bad housing or dial, you may want to consider that route.

Ralph Meyer's book, on page 73 talks about other makers' subsets; AE, Stromberg, and Kellogg.  Basically, you need to have an antisidetone for the 202.  Apparently the Kellogg and Stromberg of that vintage (1930's) have the same terminal markings as a WE, but I don't have either one to see for myself.

-Bill
-Bill G

Steve

Thanks for the quick response Phonesrfun. I had heard that about the 302 mod before. is there a website for the 302 covers? I don't have a 302 yet, but if all else fails I may look into that.

I'd like this setup to be Kosher if possible, but if the A.E. box is the same just with different markings I would do that instead.

is a 534 a sidetone model? I see them listed but assumed they were for candlesticks.
Can't sleep at night.
Grab your telephone,

Dennis Markham

Ray's web site is here:

http://www.telephonecreations.com/prod02.htm

He mentions them on the above page, but no photos are listed.

He recently informed the ATCA/TCI club members that he once again had the 302 subset covers available.  Black is $20 and Ivory $25 (I believe) plus shipping.

Attached are a couple photos of one I have in Ivory.  I also have a B1 connected to a 302 with a black cover.  The photo of the black phone is a D1 which I had connected to the box at the time I took the photo.  They make a nice "ringer box", they're relatively small and can sit on the desk.

Steve

I just may go with that set-up if my quest for a true ringer box falls through. since you have this Dennis, can you tell me the good/bad compared to a 634 ringer box? I think they look great, but are they louder than the 634? perhaps I could use a 5302 with an adjustable ringer instead? I would spend $50 or so between the junker 302 and cover, would it be cheaper to go with the real thing?
Can't sleep at night.
Grab your telephone,

Dennis Markham

I have seen some 634A's sell on ebay in the $25-35 price range, plus shipping.  The good side is I really like the sound of the older bells.  The down side is that the box is rather large.  I have only one 634A.  I have another 634AT.  I'm not sure of the differences.

Steve

It's the old ringer box bell sound I'm after Dennis.  I have a friend who has his set-up with a ringer box that got me thinking lately. I do love the sound of a 500. it reminds me of Christmas as a kid, and long distance from relatives way back then, ( "HURRY UP SON,THAT'S A LONG DISTANCE CALL! SAY GOODBYE TO GRANDMA!) but I want the ringer box ring for my 202. it just seems right.
Can't sleep at night.
Grab your telephone,

foots

Hey Dennis, what's up with that clear finger wheel on that ivory phone?
Steve, I'm with you on the old ringer box sound.
Since my phone was refurbed in '51 with an F1 handset and straight rubber cords, I'm guessing that the later subset would have been more likely included with this phone when delivered to the customer?

Sargeguy

Get a 634, the 684 sounds just like a 302.  They are available for about $40 on eBay, it just takes a little persistence.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Steve

Quote from: foots on June 20, 2009, 12:23:40 AM
Hey Dennis, what's up with that clear finger wheel on that ivory phone?

I think that's a continental. crazy cool 50's refurb by Ma Bell.
Can't sleep at night.
Grab your telephone,

Steve

Quote from: Sargeguy on June 20, 2009, 12:26:05 AM
Get a 634, the 684 sounds just like a 302.  They are available for about $40 on eBay, it just takes a little persistence.

Thanks Sarge. I am looking for the "original" ringtone I guess. what about the 534?
Can't sleep at night.
Grab your telephone,

foots

Steve, there's a good probability that I'm wrong but, I think the 534 isn't anti - sidetone.

bingster

Exactly right.  5XX subsets are sidetone, while 6XX subsets are anti-sidetone.

The 684 went through numerous revisions, and the older ones contained a different ringer from the 302-type ringer.  They sound a bit more tinkly than the later ones with the 302 ringer (if that makes any sense).  Very nice melodic sound, though--my 202s are wired to the older versions.
= DARRIN =

Dennis Markham

Foots, the Continental sets came out in the mid 1950's.  They were refurbished stock to meet the demand for color sets.  Here are a couple more.  Pekin Red and Moss Green.  Most have a 5J dial.  All had clear finger wheels.  Both of these were pre-cords.  I still don't have a handset cord on the red one.