"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

F1 Handset looks like crap

Started by WesternElectricBen, June 10, 2013, 10:15:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WesternElectricBen

Hi guys,

Finally done with the WE Mettle 302 saga. Though it works nicely now, the f1 handset looks bad and didn't shine up, I tried Novus 1, 2, and three, as well as brasso. Still dull black. Any other ideas, I have a dremel with buffing though I'm not sure if that will work.
Ben

Gilas

The best thing I have found to get them to that beautiful shine is Avon Skin So Soft. I take a very small amount and wipe it over the handset , leave it for awhile, then if there is excess simply wipe it off. If needed you can do it again.  Works wonders.  Look at some of the handsets and phones that Doug did and you will see some amazing results.

Mr. Bones

Quote from: WesternElectricBen on June 10, 2013, 10:15:59 PM
Hi guys,

Finally done with the WE Mettle 302 saga. Though it works nicely now, the f1 handset looks bad and didn't shine up, I tried Novus 1, 2, and three, as well as brasso. Still dull black. Any other ideas, I have a dremel with buffing though I'm not sure if that will work.
Ben

Hi, Ben,

If all the above didn't work, I don't know a better method to recommend. If it is an all-dates-match phone, I can see your persistence, trying to maintain the chronological integrity of the set.

If not, I might well get another, shinier F1, to start with, and go from there.

Best regards!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: Mr. Bones on June 10, 2013, 10:36:05 PM
Quote from: WesternElectricBen on June 10, 2013, 10:15:59 PM
Hi guys,

Ben

Hi, Ben,

If all the above didn't work, I don't know a better method to recommend. If it is an all-dates-match phone, I can see your persistence, trying to maintain the chronological integrity of the set.

If not, I might well get another, shinier F1, to start with, and go from there.

Best regards!

Yea, all of the dates match 1939... Well, too bad. I guess I'l have to find some avon...

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: Gilas on June 10, 2013, 10:35:24 PM
The best thing I have found to get them to that beautiful shine is Avon Skin So Soft. I take a very small amount and wipe it over the handset , leave it for awhile, then if there is excess simply wipe it off. If needed you can do it again.  Works wonders.  Look at some of the handsets and phones that Doug did and you will see some amazing results.

Does it matter exactly what lotion? We have some Luberdurm...

Jim Stettler

Black shoe polish works very well. I like the crème polish in the tube, but the tins work well also.

JMO,
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Gilas

I have only used the SSO by Avon since that's what was recommended to me. A little really does go a long way too. I can dab a cloth and do a handset. Send me a PM with your address and I will pour some in a small container and ship you some.

Mike

zaphod01

And the Avon SSS works great on 302 / 500 feet, too. I seems to soak right in. I ordered it from Amazon.
"Things are never so bad they can't be made worse." - Humphrey Bogart

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: Jim S. on June 11, 2013, 12:09:36 AM
Black shoe polish works very well. I like the crème polish in the tube, but the tins work well also.

JMO,
Jim

Oh man, I can believe I forgot about that!
Ben

WesternElectricBen

Well, here we go, Jim reminded me of using shoe polish on the handset and it looks much better.I also use car polish on the case and it turned out great! I reparied the dial after a month or two of sitting but I lost the screws so Steve Hiltz is going to send me some...
Ben

A presentation can be found here: http://goo.gl/LJzXZ

AE40FAN

Wow..that shoe polish went a long way...

Mr. Bones

Congratulations, for a job well done, Ben!

That handset came out much nicer than before, and given the matching dates '39 thing, I am glad you were able to restore it to much of its former glory. Just for grits, and shins, have you tried an additional pass / polishing? Might well be worth a try.

We used to have to take horrifying looking combat boots, and rub / buff layer upon layer, to get them inspection ready. Once the pores are filled, then you can get some serious 'bling' goin on.

Gentle pressure is the trick, in the 'polishing' phase.; takes some practice. (Like about 1/50th what you would use to clean the lenses on brand-new, extremely expensive eyeglasses, or high-dollar SLR camera lenses.) Zero drag, multiple passes.

Nice job, once again, and my best regards!

Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: Mr. Bones on June 11, 2013, 09:22:17 PM
Congratulations, for a job well done, Ben!

That handset came out much nicer than before, and given the matching dates '39 thing, I am glad you were able to restore it to much of its former glory. Just for grits, and shins, have you tried an additional pass / polishing? Might well be worth a try.

We used to have to take horrifying looking combat boots, and rub / buff layer upon layer, to get them inspection ready. Once the pores are filled, then you can get some serious 'bling' goin on.

Gentle pressure is the trick, in the 'polishing' phase.; takes some practice. (Like about 1/50th what you would use to clean the lenses on brand-new, extremely expensive eyeglasses, or high-dollar SLR camera lenses.) Zero drag, multiple passes.

Nice job, once again, and my best regards!

Thank you so much, I didn't know about light pressure! I just pushed as hard as I could I will do that again.
Ben

Mr. Bones

You can rub pretty firm to saturate the pores, but use a super soft cloth, and super light pressure to buff. We used to save old 100% GI cotton t-shirts, and cut them up into small scraps, to buff with. Really old, really worn flannel works great, as well.

Warning! If you make it too shiny, like our boots had to be for inspection, the handset will practically get eyeball prints, just from looking at it. Needless to say, handling it will leave some light, but visible smudging. You might want to stop short of mirror, in the neighbourhood of gloss! ;)

On the bright side of things: the marks will buff right out.

Best of luck, Ben! I'm very much enjoying following your progress. Please, keep us posted, Sir!

Best regards!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: Mr. Bones on June 11, 2013, 09:59:57 PM
     You can rub pretty firm to saturate the pores, but use a super soft cloth, and super light pressure to buff. We used to save old 100% GI cotton t-shirts, and cut them up into small scraps, to buff with. Really old, really worn flannel works great, as well.

Warning! If you make it too shiny, like our boots had to be for inspection, the handset will practically get eyeball prints, just from looking at it. Needless to say, handling it will leave some light, but visible smudging. You might want to stop short of mirror, in the neighbourhood of gloss! ;)

On the bright side of things: the marks will buff right out.

Best of luck, Ben! I'm very much enjoying following your progress. Please, keep us posted, Sir!

Best regards!

Eyeball marks! I will make sure to not shine it too much, and thank you again!
Ben