News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

old northern telecom phone

Started by long jumper, August 10, 2022, 11:44:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

long jumper

This PHONE IS from my relatives in Italy it is 50 years old and it works. can anyone tell me if it is worth $47. thats the shipping cost any input appreciated.IMG-20200718-WA0001.jpg

MMikeJBenN27

This is Northern Electric's Contempra phone, NE's more deluxe counterpart to the Trimline phone.  I think it is worth about $47.00.

Mike

FABphones

These were also made in Ireland. A photo of underneath should give you manufacturer info.
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

long jumper

Can anyone please tell me what was the ringtone sound on this phone.

FABphones

A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

long jumper

What makes the ringing pause between rings on incoming calls on this northern telecom phone from Europe? Is the telecom or a function of the phone itself?.

HarrySmith

The ring cadence comes from a ring generator at the central office or from the PBX.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

long jumper

Thanks very much to everyone for all your input. This forum is a big help because of the great wealth of knowledge you all have with years of experience

tubaman

The cadence for the UK is 400ms on - 200ms off - 400ms on - 2s off. For the US it's 2s on - 4s off; this cadence is also often used on UK PABX systems for an "internal" call.

Contempra

Quote from: MMikeJBenN27 on August 11, 2022, 12:32:26 AMThis is Northern Electric's Contempra phone, NE's more deluxe counterpart to the Trimline phone.  I think it is worth about $47.00.

Mike

Old post but... I have a few  phones " NT " so it's really Nothern Telecom .

long jumper

Would appreciate any help that I can use to have in determining this  rotary dial phone if it is a Kellogg phone versus a Western electric. Will post this this was on Facebook they tell me it's a Kellogg phone with steel finger wheel dated 9/56. By looking at photos it looks exactly like a 500 WE. Also not sure if it has a frequency  ringer.I have never seen the inside of a 500 Kellogg phone

HarrySmith

Can't really tell from that photo. A 500 looks like a 500 no matter who made it!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

long jumper

I was not aware of that. Being this phone was made in 1956 do you think it has a frequency ringer? Also is there a difference in the internal  components of a westren electric?

HarrySmith

Need more pictures to tell anything. IIRC in 1956 it was only WE making 500's.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

long jumper

What other markings should i look for on outside of this 500 phone to determine if it's  a Kellogg  phone. I would have to ask seller to send more photos