News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE Princess? Listing?

Started by Devansphones, July 16, 2020, 11:03:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Devansphones

Found this listing locally. Would someone care to explain what I'm looking at? I'm not well versed in all things "Princess", so this just confuses me. Hardwired handset cord, modular line cord? Weird base? Messed up inner workings?
~Devan

Key2871

Got me, but it's not Western electric. Or it would be marked on the base. But I have never seen a three pole relay in any phone base, with a capacitor too.
Got me.
KEN

Devansphones

I'm glad I'm not the only one. The receiver is stamped BTT-1, I just noticed there was another photo.
~Devan

HarrySmith

Is the handset marked? Appears to have started life as a Princess but was changed to something else.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Key2871

Nice try with the Western box though..
It's not even the correct size of box either..
It looks like a Kellogg / ITT, base but they added the modular line cord.
KEN

paul-f

Obviously not a Princess. As Ken said, probably not including any WE parts.

It looks like part of a line of phones sold by Metropolitan Teletronics, a retailer in New York City in the 1970s.

Here's another example (photos found on the internet many years ago).
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Devansphones

How weird? The woman is a bit too far from me and I doubt she'll ship it, but I might have to ask just because it's so odd.
~Devan

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: Key2871 on July 16, 2020, 11:25:26 PM
Got me, but it's not Western electric. Or it would be marked on the base. But I have never seen a three pole relay in any phone base, with a capacitor too.
Got me.

Perhaps the relay was used as a crude ringer.

Larry

GTE Rick

It looks like a Stromberg-Carlson Petite to me...

Small in size ... Smart in Style ... and it has a lighted dial.

Stormcrash

Based on the pictures I think Paul nailed it. It's certainly not Western/Stromberg/ITT in origin, the dial has the fingerstop in the wrong position (it's positioned more like an AE dial) and since the shell is notched around the fingerstop it must have been made for this specific dial configuration. All the ITT/Stromberg models I've seen are full clones of the WE design including fingerstop placement

Key2871

That's possible Larry. Very crude at that, but the cap would kind of indicate that. Because the line cord they have on that set won't support the use of a relay.

A true oddity.
KEN