News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Cord Comparison: Phoneco / House of Telephones

Started by Jack, November 17, 2008, 10:34:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack

Being new to telephone restoration I am at a loss whenever I go onto phoneco or house of telephones and see their list of cords. Thus, I thought that perhaps we could have a list explaining which cords are best and for what. For instance, since modular cordage is so much cheaper, I always wondered, could be used to go from the network to the phone?

The prices are much cheaper at Phoneco for all the cords but the line, and HoT also seems to be out of brown subset/handset cords. Could someone weigh in as to the quality of Phoneco vs HoT?

line:
House of Telephones - CORD,3C,BR,BULK,FOOT 0.40
Phoneco - Cloth covered modular cordage 0.50

subset:
House of Telephones - CORD,3C,BK,BULK,FT 1.08
Phoneco - H2093 cond 0.75

handset:
House of Telephones - CORD,4C,BK,BULK,FOOT 1.20
Phoneco - H2094 0.85

Dennis Markham

Jack,

What type of phone do you need cords for? 

House of Telephones is now owned by Oldphoneworks.  Odis LeVrier, the previous founder and owner of House of Telephones in San Angelo, Texas recently sold his business.  Oldphoneworks bought his equipment to manufacture cloth covered cords for antique telephones.  The new owner, Don Woodbury (Of Ontario, Canada) says he is going to keep prices the same (for now) and his employees will make the same high quality product that Odis made.

I see after reading your posting that House of Telephones has the new web site up and running. 

I have purchased many cords from Odis but have yet to purchase any from Oldphoneworks/House of Telephones.  I have never purchased from Phoneco.  However, if the cloth cords from Oldphoneworks are the same quality as when they were made in Texas, they will be quality cords.

I never bought them by the foot, but instead bought cords that were predetermined by House of Telephones.

For wiring my B1 and/or D1 Western Electric phones to a subset for use as an anti side-tone subset I buy the 4-conductor desk stand cords.   For the handset cords I use 3 conductor cords.  I have bought the coiled cloth covered (@ $32 apiece) 3 conductor handset cord and the brown cloth straight cord---at $13 each.  I believe their line cord, from the subset to the wall is a 4 conductor cord.  Those can be purchased with spade tips on the subset end and a modular plug on the wall end.  Or you can get them with spade tips on both ends.

Dennis

bingster

I don't think there are too many folks producing cloth-covered telephone cords, so chances are Phoneco got their cords from House of Telephones.  But I don't that know for sure.

The bulk modular cordage will work for just about any purpose, but it falls down in terms of looks for me.  It's a matter of personal taste, of course, but I try to get as close as I can to the original look, and the modular cordage is just too small, too flat, and too blatantly modern.  It'll work, though.
= DARRIN =

Jack

Very interesting... and blingster you do make a good point. I just want to buy in bulk because I have 2 102's and 5 202's that need to be corded with cloth cables... so I think that I might try Phoneco then and consider modular for longer runs.

Before I start a new thread, does anyone know where I can find wiring diagrams for 427 (TTL) or other networks (Aside from the 425 and the regular subsets) to rotary dials?
Thanks, Jack

BDM

I recently bought cords from Don Woodbury. They're new old stock from Odis. But, thumbs up to Don. I placed the order at the time Odis sold out. The order was lost in space. 1 month later I contacted Don. He rectified the situation fast. I had the cords in about 5 days.

To my knowledge they plan on offering the same quality cord. Possibly some new offerings in the future also.
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

BDM

Quote from: Jack on November 18, 2008, 12:22:19 AM
Very interesting... and blingster you do make a good point. I just want to buy in bulk because I have 2 102's and 5 202's that need to be corded with cloth cables... so I think that I might try Phoneco then and consider modular for longer runs.

Before I start a new thread, does anyone know where I can find wiring diagrams for 427 (TTL) or other networks (Aside from the 425 and the regular subsets) to rotary dials?
Thanks, Jack

Oldphoneworks/H.O.T. sells the proper cloth cord in bulk. DON'T buy modular cord for your vintage phones. You'll be sorry IMHO! Flate, stiff, annoying, all the wrong things for our vintage phones. I admit, I've used cloth covered modular cords for network to main line connections, but that's it!
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI