News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Siemens & Halske dial tester

Started by countryman, November 07, 2019, 04:28:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

countryman

I just received this S & H "Impulsschreiber" (dial pulse plotter). I have not tried it out yet, but as complete and well kept as it is, it might well be in working order. It came with test leads and 2 spare paper rolls for only 15.50 Euro, a bargain I think.
It will be interesting to test some dials that gave me fits in the past with the right equipment!

HarrySmith

Very Cool! Keep us updated on how it works and don't forget plenty of pictures.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Ktownphoneco

Very nice find Countryman !   I service dials here in Canada, so I'm always interested in equipment associated with that sort of work.     Am I interpreting that the switch on the right hand side operates an internal step down transformer/converter which converts the mains voltage of 220V AC, down to  24 / 48 and 60 Volts DC ?     I'm also assuming the paper tape or roll provides a print out of the test results, correct ?

Jeff Lamb

HarrySmith

Yes, interesting for sure. Details of operation and pictures of inside would be informative.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

countryman

I was busy with that toy now. I'll try to post printing results later!
The upper right switch selects 220 or 110 V mains input voltage. This does nothing but operating a sychronous motor, driving the silver/black "knob" with the arrow. The tester does not supply the actual test voltage, presumably the professional users used the central battery in the office? The actual phone system (battery) voltage is selected by the lower right switch. I used a current limited 24V power supply for my tests.
Negative goes to the left black test plug, one side of the tested switch is connected to positive, and the other to one of the center plugs (K1 / K2). Each of them operates one tiny plotter arm, drawing a graph on the pressure sensitive paper. So both dial contacts, shunt and pulse, can be tested synchronously.
To test the motor is started, but will not yet transport the paper unless the trigger above/left of the "knob" is pulled. Wind up the dial, pull the trigger and let dial go - a graph with 10 pulses will be drawn on about 25 cm / 10 inches of paper.

I did not test the dial separately for now, but used the line wires of the phone itself. So there is only one graph.

100 milliseconds equal 25 mm at 50 Hz mains frequency or 30mm at 60 Hz! Both is specified.
I tested my german Amtsanschliesser 33 and a WE 302. It can clearly be seen that the german dial has a make/break ratio of 60/40 (15 / 10 mm) while the American is 67/33 (16 / 8 mm @ 50 Hz).

The very right black plug may be connected to a remote start switch which can be used instead of pulling the trigger manually. But this function draws more current than I liked to use, in case anything might short out.
The result of the testing is exactly the same as the folded test slip that I found inside my Tesla phone.

dsk

It is actually useful: http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=21462.0
Maybe not the most modern way, but true measurements, and easy to read out.

dsk