News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

SC1157 Fingerwheel

Started by Mark S, July 18, 2019, 08:40:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark S

I have a SC 1157 which I have working, but I am unfamiliar with the North Electric Dial.  I want to remove the fingerwheel to begin cleaning and oiling but don't want to unravel the spring.  Has anyone removed this type of fingerwheel?
Thanks!

Ktownphoneco

I repair and service dials (in Canada), and the one I dislike the most is the "North Electric" dial.    In my personal opinion, whoever designed it, made it the most complicated dial on the planet.     
The finger wheel is permanently fastened to the main shaft of the dial.     You need to basically disassemble the dial to remove the finger wheel.      The only purpose for the machine screw on the face of the dial, is to position and hold the combination logo & number card in place.
I have a North dial that's currently apart.    I'll take some pictures so you can actually see what I'm talking about.     Best advice I can give you if your in the U.S.A., , is to send the dial to Steve Hiltz in Arizona.
I'll post pictures shortly.

Jeff Lamb

Ktownphoneco

Mark   ....    I'm attaching some new photos I took a few minutes ago, and some old photos taken by someone else, which show what some might say is the complexity of North Electric dials.

I think they pretty much show what needs to be done to remove the finger wheel.    One needs to take the dial completely apart to clean the finger wheel and clean or replace the porcelain enamel number plate.

If you have any questions, just ask.   I'll reply later today.    (click to enlarge photos).

Jeff

Mark S

Thanks for your help.  North Electric dial info is extremely hard to find. I'm deciding I'll remove the number card by removing the screw and clean the fingerwheel "old school" by hand.
Mark

Doug Rose

thanks Jeff...great info! I have never tried to open one. I am glad I didn't   ::)  I would still be in pieces ...Doug
Kidphone

Ktownphoneco

Your welcome.    North dials are not for the faint of heart, or a short fuse on their frustration trigger.   Someone asked me to do a full service pdf for the TCI library, with pictures on the dial, which I'll post once I've had a chance to get it ready.    Just setting the pulsing speed on these dials is something very similar to performing a surgical arthroscopy, working through a slim and small sliding trap "door" of sorts, minus the video camera and sharp blades.

Jeff

HowardPgh

How do you take the numbercard and plastic window out of one of these small North dials without cracking and tearing it?
The bigger North dials have a ring that barely hangs on by a  hair to hold the plastic window and card.
Howard

Ktownphoneco

Howard  ....  The "snarky" answer would be "very carefully".   In actual fact, use a sewing needle or something that has a similar size and smooth finish.        Remove the machine screw, insert the needle at one corner of the number card containment ring in the opening created by the now removed machine screw, and lift up gently on the circular acetate window until that corner is out of the ring.    Leave the needle under the acetate window while gently moving it around the ring until the entire round acetate window is out of the number card ring.      Do the same with the number card.     Keep in mind your dealing with "old" and "brittle" material.     Yes, it may break, but removal techniques for the card and acetate window are limited and not a guarantee. 

Jeff