News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Name for this AE wooden 1970s(?) set?

Started by markosjal, May 11, 2017, 02:50:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

markosjal

Looking for a name for this set I bought on eBay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Old-Fashion-Style-Oak-Automatic-Electric-GTE-Rotary-Dial-Phone-Telephone-/152535340907

I will need to restore the dial it looks rusty as well as the (decorative?) Gongs. Never had seen one like it

Mark
Phat Phantom's phreaking phone phettish

TelePlay

Someone who has finish woodworking down to a science did a nice job on this phone. A very nice job of crafting that wood into what is shown.

It looks like the gongs may be turned wood (decorative only - with no clapper) and the ringer is still the one that came on the AE wall phone which is the heart of this phone, still.

One thing I'd do is replace the 4 front Phillips headed screws with round headed slotted screws, brass or other - which ever looks best.

Nice looking and interesting phone and the price was right.

markosjal

I would be interested in hearing if there is another opinion on this. Looks almost too perfect to not be a standard model .  I doubt it is something like an ATC or Decotel because that AE mounting plate is well formed into the design.

Jim Stettler

I would say a nice homemade set or possibly made by Paul Nelson Industries or a similar company. If it was made by a company you may be able to find it in some of the consumer catalogs or TAB books. I doubt if AE created it.
Just my opinion,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

markosjal

I was told by another collector (off this forum)  that AE , in an effort to get rid of old stock, created phones like this. Anyone know if there is any merit to that?

On this particular phone someone went through a lot of trouble to integrate the AE mounting plate . Had it been a home made job seems they would have used the WE rectangular plate.

Also noteworthy is the ITT marking on the mounting plate with REN. Is there any possibility this was an ITT own-a-phone?

markosjal

I have been trying to update this thread from three different devices and no luck. There seems to be a new problem with photos taking me to  blank page

Here is the phone as it is now

Gongs on front were swapped from Mini AE s to Ericsson Gongs and mounted on a hacked up bell & Gong mounting plate not sure if coiil and actuator are indetel or Ericsson as they are interchangable and this one had no markings as to manufacturer

Hole drilled in between two gongs for bell clapper.

result Gongs no longer are decorative, they really ring.

All parts are as it came except the bell mods.

11/24/20 NOTE:  The blank images below are all externally linked images and the external image or the URL link to it is no longer valid resulting in a blank image box.

The external image coding was (spaces inserted to deactivate the external link code):

[i mg width=712 height=950]h ttp://teknogeekz.com/phones/wooden1.jpg[/i mg]      
[i mg width=712 height=950]h ttp://teknogeekz.com/phones/wooden2.jpg[/i mg]   
[i mg width=712 height=950]h ttp://teknogeekz.com/phones/wooden2b.jpg[/i mg]
[i mg width=1000 height=750]h ttp://teknogeekz.com/phones/wooden3.jpg[/i mg]   
[i mg width=712 height=950]h ttp://teknogeekz.com/phones/wooden4.jpg[/i mg]
[i mg width=1000 height=750]h ttp://teknogeekz.com/phones/wooden4new.jpg[/i mg]

The advantage of the Indetel or Ericsson ringers over WE or AE they actually ring from a low power ATA

TelePlay

Quote from: markosjal on December 31, 2017, 01:27:41 PM
I have been trying to update this thread from three different devices and no luck. There seems to be a new problem with photos taking me to  blak page

See Paragraph #4 a) at this link:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=18551.0

Your images were all 4,160 by 3,120 in size, straight off of a smart phone. Won't work. Largest side of an image can not exceed 3,000 pixels for the image to upload. The externally linked images in the above post were resized to 3,000 on the largest side and uploaded without issue.

Note:  3,000 on the largest side did not work (got the blank screen) so the images were again resized to 2,500 pixels on the largest side and they then uploaded just fine. This is a well known and documents problem and the solution is simple, don't post large images.

markosjal

There is software for forums that resizes images

TelePlay

Quote from: markosjal on December 31, 2017, 02:36:43 PM
There is software for forums that resizes images

SMF does not have admin options that automatically change the image size of the photo. The software is currently set to recode the image, reduce the quality of the image a bit to remove embedded malware but the length and width of the image stays the same. A recoded 3,000 by 2,000 image will have a smaller file size but the recoded image will still be 3,000 by 2,000. The dpi is changed a bit in the recoding if you look at the meta data of any uploaded image.

Microsoft Paint is one quick way to resize a large image, what I used to get the above images to load. Takes but a few seconds. There are other image editing programs provided by browser platforms or available as free downloads on the forum.

I have a Photoshop Elements FREE app on my iPhone that allows me to rotate and/or crop images. Cropping an original image to just the image, getting rid of the background clutter, is usually enough to produce an image that can be uploaded.

There is an admin option to reject any image that is over a certain file size but members on the forum, a few months ago, felt it was better to let the individual member edit their own images before uploading them so the images are of the content and quality they want and not selected by a software program. We did limit the file size for a few days and found that drew more complaints that the one or so a month member who forgot a large image will crash the RAM server memory and produce a blank/white screen.

We then took the size limit off. It can be put back on but we prefer members to take personal responsibility of their images. Recoding got rid of the security error flag due to suspicious code in the meta data but in solving that problem, the blank screen appeared due to the server running out of memory when recoding large (greater than 2,500 to 3,000 largest side) images. Upload size limit would keep that from happening but then large pdf files could not be attached.

There is an option that allows the admin to set the size of the image as it displays on the forum. This is currently set to 1,000 pixels. Images that are larger than than are converted to a png thumbnail and the thumbnail displayed. Clicking on the displayed thumbnail will open up the full image in a new window, expanding the image to the full size, as uploaded.

Lot of moving parts when it comes to images. We just can't make everyone happy all of the time now, can we? At least no one has complained about getting a security error flag for more than half a year now.

I would think, and this is my very personal opinion as a member and not a moderator, that anyone who feels a particular image is worth posting on the forum for the world to see would also take the time to do whatever is necessary to post the image well -- rotated correctly, cropped, resized to meet software parameters so it will upload. Taking short cuts, posting directly from a snap shot taken by a smartphone with a 12 megapixel camera, just won't work. And that is a well known and easily resolved issue.

AE_Collector

I just noticed now that the hook is AE 90 again meaning this could be Home made or something like PhoneCo or many other such companies.

That ivory plastic wall mount does look like the AE back plates however, it doesn't look like it is made to fit an AE wallphone. It looks wider at the top than the bottom like a 2554. Equivalent AE 192's are truly rectangular.

I don't put much into the "AE was making stuff like this to use up stock" statement. When things were winding down for North American phone manufacturers they were beyond looking for odd projects to use up Parts because they would use up even more expensive labour to accomplish this. Parts were used up by filling dumpsters or being sold off in lots to smaller manufacturers, liquidators or scrap yards.

Terry

markosjal

Quote from: TelePlay on December 31, 2017, 03:36:27 PM
SMF does not have admin options that automatically change the image size of the photo. The software is currently set to recode the image, reduce the quality of the image a bit to remove embedded malware but the length and width of the image stays the same. A recoded 3,000 by 2,000 image will have a smaller file size but the recoded image will still be 3,000 by 2,000. The dpi is changed a bit in the recoding if you look at the meta data of any uploaded image.

Microsoft Paint is one quick way to resize a large image, what I used to get the above images to load. Takes but a few seconds. There are other image editing programs provided by browser platforms or available as free downloads on the forum.

I have a Photoshop Elements FREE app on my iPhone that allows me to rotate and/or crop images. Cropping an original image to just the image, getting rid of the background clutter, is usually enough to produce an image that can be uploaded.

There is an admin option to reject any image that is over a certain file size but members on the forum, a few months ago, felt it was better to let the individual member edit their own images before uploading them so the images are of the content and quality they want and not selected by a software program. We did limit the file size for a few days and found that drew more complaints that the one or so a month member who forgot a large image will crash the RAM server memory and produce a blank/white screen.

We then took the size limit off. It can be put back on but we prefer members to take personal responsibility of their images. Recoding got rid of the security error flag due to suspicious code in the meta data but in solving that problem, the blank screen appeared due to the server running out of memory when recoding large (greater than 2,500 to 3,000 largest side) images. Upload size limit would keep that from happening but then large pdf files could not be attached.

There is an option that allows the admin to set the size of the image as it displays on the forum. This is currently set to 1,000 pixels. Images that are larger than than are converted to a png thumbnail and the thumbnail displayed. Clicking on the displayed thumbnail will open up the full image in a new window, expanding the image to the full size, as uploaded.

Lot of moving parts when it comes to images. We just can't make everyone happy all of the time now, can we? At least no one has complained about getting a security error flag for more than half a year now.

I would think, and this is my very personal opinion as a member and not a moderator, that anyone who feels a particular image is worth posting on the forum for the world to see would also take the time to do whatever is necessary to post the image well -- rotated correctly, cropped, resized to meet software parameters so it will upload. Taking short cuts, posting directly from a snap shot taken by a smartphone with a 12 megapixel camera, just won't work. And that is a well known and easily resolved issue.

not looking to debate the issue, however the software does exist to resize the image when uploaded. Also the site should show an appropriate error message not a blank page . this is common sense not rocket science

TelePlay

Quote from: markosjal on January 01, 2018, 01:55:25 PM
not looking to debate the issue, however the software does exist to resize the image when uploaded. Also the site should show an appropriate error message not a blank page . this is common sense not rocket science

Okay, please send links to this software either here or by PM. Claims without supporting documentation or links is useless to me. I don't have a clue of what you are talking about or how to find it or what I am looking at if I happen to search through it.

And I have neither the time nor the ambition to go looking for something that to me is a black box right now, like the pulse to DTMF converters vaguely mentioned in an obscure post in another topic.

If your are going to take the time to post words, please be kind enough to all of the other members to show us of what you are posting, so we don't have to guess or assume we are finding that which you present.

If any other member disagrees with this, please post here or PM me.

markosjal

markosjal

Quote from: TelePlay on January 01, 2018, 02:31:38 PM
Okay, please send links to this software either here or by PM. Claims without supporting documentation or links is useless to me. I don't have a clue of what you are talking about or how to find it or what I am looking at if I happen to search through it.

And I have neither the time nor the ambition to go looking for something that to me is a black box right now, like the pulse to DTMF converters vaguely mentioned in an obscure post in another topic.

If your are going to take the time to post words, please be kind enough to all of the other members to show us of what you are posting, so we don't have to guess or assume we are finding that which you present.

If any other member disagrees with this, please post here or PM me.

If you have a problem with what I posted on another thread you should address that there , not here. ANYONE can look on ebay and see the Chinese pulse to tone converters, it requires no great skill nor does asking google about PHP code to resize images.

TelePlay

Quote from: markosjal on January 01, 2018, 07:06:03 PM
If you have a problem with what I posted on another thread yopu shuld address that there , not here. ANYONE can look on ebay and see the chinese pulse to tone converters, it requires no great skill nor does asking google about PHP code to resize images.

The back of my hand is still stinging . . .

Won't forget your sage advice going forward.

Got everything I need now, thanks,  . . .     The End.