News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

How were Gold phones painted?

Started by Kenton K, November 26, 2013, 02:18:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kenton K

I've seen a few golden Imperials, 500s and 302s recently and I was wondering how they got so shiny. I feel like paint would not produce that reflective shine seen on many of the real telephones western electric made. I found an ebay telephone for comparison.

I also kinda want to turn one of my parts 500 into a gaudy masterpiece. hehe  ;)

Ken

Matilo Telephones

Groeten,

Arwin

Check out my telephone website: http://www.matilo.eu/?lang=en

And I am on facebook too: www.facebook.com/matilosvintagetelephones

Kenton K

Well a vacuum chamber is certainly too expensive for me. I saw on that page that you can also plate plastic Electroless. I may try to plate the plastic in the Electroless process, just for fun.

http://www.ehow.com/facts_7270709_plastic-chrome-plated_.html

Ken

Jim Stettler

I like shiny phones. I keep meaning to buy some shiny spray paint and experiment on some scrap parts.
The can caps look to be the  right look, but I have never tried out the shiny spray paint.

I have 500's in  gold as well as shiny princess and Imperial princess phones. I also have a shiny silver Keyset, it has a tag commenerating the # of phones installed.

I have been told you can metal plate plastic if you spray it with metalic paint first and then plate from there.
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

twocvbloke

The word is Electrolysis, and the process is easy, just spray a conductive metal onto the plastic, then you connect it up to a DC source as the Cathode (Negative) and use I think Nickel, then Copper and then Chrome as the Anode (Positive), and then finally spray the item with a clear yellow lacquer to make it gold coloured... :)

Never plated any plastic in my life though, did once plate a Cupronickel 50p coin with Copper at school though... :D

You can also use the process in reverse to clean up metals, but that's a different topic... :D

DavePEI

The way I read it, the electroless process is only a pre-treatment for the electrolytic process, which makes the surface of the plastic conductive to accept the plating via the electrolytic process.

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

twocvbloke

Something popped into my head, I do recall seeing paint whose cap implies they can achieve a shiny finish, be it gold or chrome, it'd be interesting to try them out... :D

poplar1

The problem with a 500 is that you need a clear number plate which is then painted gold on the back; otherwise, the numbers are covered up.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

twocvbloke

True, but the model making community has a solution, transfers that are painted in under a lacquer finish, that way you get letters, numbers and dots that are protected from use.. :)