"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE 555 PBX - just flew one in last weekend, hoping to get working

Started by rglenn, July 04, 2020, 08:06:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Stettler

From looking at the photo:
The ground terminal is an electrical ground. It should be connected (bonded) to the frame of the switchboard.
This ground the metal components  to your electrical ground thru the power supply cord. It helps keep you safe.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Telephone systems  were wired  positive ground. 
------------------
Telephone tidbit:

I had a very old Bell report about "The deterioration of underground lead sheathed cables".
It said a negative ground would deteriorate the lead sheath. A positive ground would increase the thickness of the lead sheath.
This is the basis for cathodic protection of buried metal pipe.

Jim

You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

rglenn

Well, I wired it up, and will add the power supply ground to the frame based on Jim's note.  Unfortunately, I got absolutely nothing.  No lights, no buzz, no sparks no smoke.  Any ideas on the first places to look would be appreciated.  Pictures below in case they are helpful.

rglenn

The ringer was just hanging by its wires in the back of the cabinet.  I suspect it is not original equipment.  The buzzer knob on the front panel is currently a bridge to nowhere, it is not connected to anything.  I expect the large cable with a plethora of wires at the bottom of the unit is the cut extension lines.  I'm  not sure if the other bundle of cut cables (picture above) is an issue.

Jim Stettler

Have you verified that you have output voltage from the power supply?

You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

RB

I assume you turned the BATT switch to ON???
Also, you won't get any activity until you connect a station phone, and lift the handset.
Do you have any trunk connections active?

rglenn

Well, something must have happened to the "talk" fuse after I tested the power supply voltage.  When I again checked the talk output voltage, I got nothing.  I replaced the fuse and stuff starting happening.  When I turn on the BATT switch, a single light from one of the plug pairs comes on.  Encouraged, I hooked up one of the trunks and called its extension. To my surprise, the trunk light lit up and buzzed briefly.  I installed an extension phone and was able to pass the trunk call to the extension....  well, at least it rang.   More testing coming up.  I am curious why the single plug pair light comes on when I power up the unit.

RB

RB

rglenn

Glad you asked.  Now the behavior seems to have changed.  The light is off when the lever is pulled,  When pushed in and to the right, the light is on, When pushed in and to the left, it flashes briefly and buzzes.

RB

I think you are close to working???
try the same steps on another cord set, and see if the result is the same

rglenn

I'll do that.  I'm currently creating a shelf for the bottom of the unit to more permanently position my power supply, voip ata and wap.

rglenn

I added a wooden shelf to the bottom of the unit for my power supply and voip equipment.  I imagine I may have touched some of the station wires when installing the shelf.  So now when I turn the BATT switch on, I have (5) seemingly random extension lights come on and stay on.  My trunk still works and the (2) extensions I actually have installed both work.  None of the (5) lights are the installed trunk or extensions.  Any ideas on why these lamps would be lit?

RB

First, check the condition of all the cord set switches.
Make them all the same.
2nd, chk the condition of the ENDS of both the grey cut cable, and the bundle in the pic.
Fan out the ends of these bundles, so no shorts can happen.
You got some loose wires in there. Clean them all up.
Then read this... Enjoy