"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Difficulty finding gong for ATEA Model 50 table phone, Need help

Started by RotoTech99, August 31, 2021, 05:51:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RotoTech99

Dear Forum:

I've  gotten some feedback from a  couple of forum members on the gongs for a ATEA
Model 50 table phone.

They weren't able to help primarily because of international costs to send them, and I cannot afford over $30 overall.

This is because I'm in a long term care home, and only have $30/month to use towards what I need; that is why I ask for as-is items.

Can the Forum please see what they can do;
if not finding the gongs for my ATEA phone, at least suggesting a gong from another ringer that is close to 2 or 2-1/4" diameter and about 1-1/2" deep.

If there is some way the Forum can help possibly from a member in the US, please I would thank them.

The dealers in Europe and Belgium were good ideas, but they didn't work out.

As always, any help and feedback welcome

RotoTech99

RotoTech99

Dear Forum:

I've some surprising news...My ATEA 50 does have two differently toned gongs; one gong produces a gentle low tone when rung; I guess my hearing is a little off in one ear...

When my ATEA 50 rings, it sound similar similar to a single 3" gong with the "zing" Matilo mentions on his site.

I discovered it while tinkering a bit when things
are somewhat quiet here in the "home"; there's usually some noise on a 24/7 basis, but later in the evening is good for testing as things have calmed down.

Thank You to the Forum members who have viewed my threads on this topic. 

RotoTech99

david@london

Quote from: RotoTech99 on September 08, 2021, 12:37:25 PM

When my ATEA 50 rings, it sound similar similar to a single 3" gong with the "zing" Matilo mentions on his site.

RotoTech,

good to hear that your ATEA 50 does in fact have dual tone gongs.

I was not familiar with this phone so did a search and quickly found info at Matilo's very good site. I believe Arwin is a member here.

Really nice looking phone.

David.

countryman

Is it possible that the clapper only strikes one of the gongs, or rests against one gong when ringing stops? Both would lead to an ill sounding ringer. The position of each gong can be adjusted by turning it somewhat, the mounting holes are off center.
(Maybe that's old news or has been checked already, just to have mentioned it.)

RotoTech99

Dear Countryman:

Hello, I have checked those possibilities, and I think my slight hearing issue in one ear was the main issue; as I mentioned the low tone gong does indeed make a low tone resembling a soft, low dong sound.

The combined tones sound like a Western Electric Co. 7 series bell, or 3" doorbell with the long echo after the ringing stops.

There was indeed a difference in internal thickness between the two gongs.

When I think of a low tone gong like in older US Phones, the low tone gong sound is like a 2" doorbell ringing; so I guess there is a number of variations in low toned gongs.

Long story short, I'm satisfied.

BTW: Where I live, there is constant noise of one sort or another, so that contributes to difficulty in differentiation of low and high tones from phone ringers, I'm used to it.

RotoTech99