News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

How to Replace a Handset Cord

Started by Bingles, February 26, 2012, 09:23:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bingles

I'm sorry if this has been discussed before, but I couldn't seem to find it.

How does one go about changing a hardwired coiled cord on a 500 phone?  I can see how to do it on the phone itself, but the receiver looks a bit more tricky.  

HarrySmith

No more tricky than the connnections inside the phone. Only thing that might not be obvious is the strain relief, move the wires to  find the hook mounted under a screw.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

jsowers

It's fairly simple to remove the handset cord. Re-inserting it may be harder than removing it. First you must unscrew both handset caps. If the caps are stuck on, I usually spray some window cleaner in the gap between the cap and handset so it soaks into the area and loosens embedded dirt. Sometimes using a paper towel to get the gunk out helps, and it can give you some leverage loosening the caps.

Once you get the caps off, the earpiece capsule (receiver) should come out. The older soft plastic handsets can be a bit tricky here since they seem to shrink a little and trap the earpiece. Hitting the back of the earpiece area with your hand can help to loosen a stubborn earpiece.

Once the earpiece is out, loosen both screws and remove the cord. It doesn't matter which wire goes where and sometimes they're both white anyway. Be sure to remove the cotton ball in G3 handsets and be sure it goes back in when you reinstall the wire. It helps with preventing feedback in the handset.

The mouthpiece (transmitter) capsule can be easily removed. Then you remove the insert that also holds down the cord strain relief. Note how far the cord goes into the handset so you can put it back correctly so it doesn't come loose.

Loosen both screws on the insert and remove the cord. Then you can take the cord out of the handset.

Reinserting the cord is sometimes difficult because the space inside the handset is tight and getting the wires to the earpiece won't work well in that tight space. What I find works best is a piece of florist's wire. You can use any stiff piece of wire, preferably a thin one. Station wire will work too. You first stick the wire through the handhold area between the caps. Then wrap the wire around the two earpiece spades a little and pull it through the hole and up into the earcap area.

Then you reattach the spades to the screws. Again, it matters not which wire goes to which screw because there is no polarity involved. Insert the mouthpiece cap so it traps the strain relief under the U-shaped area the way it was originally. You can usually see a mark on the cord where the two pieces met.

There are some older soft plastic handsets with separate pieces that go under and over the cord strain relief. Hopefully you won't have one of those, but if you do, carefully note how it was when you took it apart and put it back the same way.

I usually clean the handset while I have it apart. Be sure to clean inside the threads. It will go together easier that way. Don't tighten the caps too tightly. Just finger tight is fine.

Hope that helps. I've done this so many times that it's second nature, so I hope I didn't leave out any steps.
Jonathan

HarrySmith

"Hope that helps. I've done this so many times that it's second nature, so I hope I didn't leave out any steps."

Yes, I don't even think about it anymore. I also did not even think of a G handset as I just took apart an F ;D
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

JorgeAmely

In addition to a florist wire, a drinking straw does a good job too. The spades fit nicely inside the straw.
Jorge

cihensley@aol.com

Innovative solution to a perennial problem.

Chuck

bingster

I agree.  Up until now, I've been pushing them through with a chopstick.  ::)
= DARRIN =