"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Red 500U modularized

Started by RotarDad, November 19, 2017, 11:31:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TelePlay

Quote from: RotarDad on November 26, 2017, 12:34:54 PM
Wow - up to $354 with over 9 hours to go!  I'm very surprised that this one is going that high....  Doug called it earlier.   Hey Christian, maybe you and I need to track down a vintage pair of modular snips to update all our phones.......   ;D

Having run up that much over the 7 day auction, I doubt there is much left on the upside. Probably no snipes. What is surprising is that a heavy eBay buyer (over 3000 feedback) is the high bidder. Wonder what he wants in that phone? Still, a premium for that phone, which usually sell for below $100 even when red.

TelePlay

Quote from: TelePlay on November 26, 2017, 12:38:42 PM
Having run up that much over the 7 day auction, I doubt there is much left on the upside. Probably no snipes. What is surprising is that a heavy eBay buyer (over 3000 feedback) is the high bidder. Wonder what he wants in that phone? Still, a premium for that phone, which usually sell for below $100 even when red.

Shaking my head on this auction. Not one but two last second snipes by first time bidders bumped the $354 to $438.

Must have been the premium color - red - that caused several buyers to pay a lot for this phone.

WEBellSystemChristian

I just don't get it. That would have been pretty much on-par with what I would expect a typical dates-matching Red Mushroom to sell for retail. This one has every piece of plastic--other than the hood--replaced with parts completely incompatible with the correct ones.

I hope whoever bought this one knows how little of the original phone is left.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

RotarDad

It is very surprising, but it is a "U" and we know that shiny sells......
Paul

Dan/Panther

I contacted the seller, He assured me when he did the modification ( 1983 ) he was not aware that it would detract from it's value, and vowed not to do any more modifications.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

andre_janew

What would it have brought if it hadn't been modified?

Pourme

Quote from: andre_janew on November 27, 2017, 05:35:35 PM
What would it have brought if it hadn't been modified?

I'm not even close to the best at guessing auction contests but....Double?
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: Pourme on November 27, 2017, 05:39:03 PM
I'm not even close to the best at guessing auction contests but....Double?
Easily into double digits, if the seller included the dates of every component.

If someone offered this phone to me, I'd pay maybe $50. I guess you could use a soft Red 500 with a destroyed base and drill holes into the housing. Even then, they wouldn't be original parts.

I already have a spare P/U base with the correct internal parts--throw a light hood into the mix, and I already have as many genuine parts at the buyer paid $450 for.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

JorgeAmely

Quote from: TelePlay on November 19, 2017, 04:45:03 PM
Here's the gold standard for a '58 red mushroom:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=1217.msg15413#msg15413

Jorge always does such a very nice job on all of his phones

Thanks, I appreciate your comments
Jorge

dlvh

^ That is a real beauty, Jorge! Is your shine from a Machine, or Hand Buffed?

JorgeAmely

Both. The polisher cannot get into every tight corner, so those were done by hand.
Jorge

Dan/Panther

Jorge;

Beautiful work as usual.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

HarrySmith

Quote from: JorgeAmely on November 30, 2017, 10:24:54 AM
Both. The polisher cannot get into every tight corner, so those were done by hand.

What chemicals do you use for that shine? Just Novus or something else?
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Greg G.

At least he didn't turn it into a lamp!
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e