News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Gray Powder Coat 302

Started by Doug Rose, February 01, 2014, 04:10:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

A buddy of mine has always been after me to get a gray phone with an ornate black handle that he saw in a B&B many years ago. They were in all the rooms and really heavy! It was a jailhouse motif. I told him there was no such phone! At least that I knew of. He always pointed to my '37 manual 302 and said it looked like that.

Well our friend Scot (persido) has power coated a few of his metal 302s, so I asked him if you could do a gray for me on a base that had seen better days.

It came out amazing, much better than the pictures show. A WE E1 handset with a WE cloth cord braided. A real WE Hotel dial card with a Nickel retainer ring.

Now....how do I give it away?.....thanks Scot, it is a work or art....Doug
Kidphone

HarrySmith

Well, I am not fond of the cord but if you need to get rid of it you can send it to South Florida ;D
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Dennis Markham

The phone looks very nice, Doug.  The paint job looks great.  The chrome dial card is a nice accent.  It would be difficult to give it away.  Should have had your friend paint two of them.

~Dennis

WesternElectricBen

This phone looks very cool, no way I could give that one away.

I agree with Harry, I am not crazy about the cord.

This phone reminds me of the one in this Ep. of GetSmart at 12:30. Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NcOnQAJp0o

Ben

sesjrs

Doug,
That is beautiful. Does your friend do powder coating for others as well.  I have had a hard time getting local places to do a good job on powder coating. Some turn out great and other terrible.  I have spent hours getting a bad power coat off to redo and then had it turn out bad again.  If his prices are reasonable, I have several 302's I need done.
Steve S.

Doug Rose

thanks guys....I did swap out the handset cord. I wasn't happy afterwards with it.  I put a Ivory handset on it and I am conflicted. I'll take pics later. It is such a great powder coat. I did get this done for someone else!

Persido will have to tell you if he does more. I think it was just a special for me....Doug
Kidphone

persido

Looks great, love the E1 handset, I agree with the others, I wouldn't want to give it away, great job.

Scot

Doug Rose

Quote from: sesjrs on February 02, 2014, 12:22:42 PM
Doug,
That is beautiful. Does your friend do powder coating for others as well.  I have had a hard time getting local places to do a good job on powder coating. Some turn out great and other terrible.  I have spent hours getting a bad power coat off to redo and then had it turn out bad again.  If his prices are reasonable, I have several 302's I need done.
Steve S.
Steve...Welcome back to the Forum. Your input has been missed. Love your estate sale finds!!....Doug
Kidphone

Doug Rose

Here it is with an Ivory  handsetset and a really old handset cord I had on eBay that I realized was a three conductor. I can't make up my mind.
Kidphone

Doug Rose

Quote from: persido on February 02, 2014, 12:56:23 PM
Looks great, love the E1 handset, I agree with the others, I wouldn't want to give it away, great job.

Scot
Quote from: persido on February 02, 2014, 12:56:23 PM

Scot...yes it was a great job...many thanks....Doug

Scot
Kidphone

WesternElectricBen

I like it with the black one,  more.

Ben

Doug Rose

thanks Guys....E1 handset with traditional brown cloth cord. No pics, its raining here. Much better than the single number temps....Doug
Kidphone

david@london

doug -

that is a great looking phone !  gd bit of teamwork between you & persido.
personally, i liked the braided cord, and the ivory f1, but the e1, to me, looks best.
the subdued grey colouring reminds me of the RAF.

Doug Rose

thanks David...I immediately thought Navy in the US....its a beauty....Doug
Kidphone