"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

This worth anything? Ivory 302

Started by WesternElectricBen, November 01, 2013, 11:31:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WesternElectricBen

Hi,

Just saw this on eBay. And I know ivory 302's are rare, but is this a real one? They said to replaced the cords.

This could be an auction contest? Has a reserve of 300 usd.

Link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/221308635702

Ben

unbeldi

The housing looks very nice, fairly evenly aged and darkened, and would look even better with an original straight handset cord.
But before you buy it, you should ask the seller what is wrong with the hookswitch. The plungers should pop up about twice as high, when the handset is off-hook. So somehow, something prevents that from happening and you have to wonder if the contacts are fully closed in this position, or whether something is bent out of shape.

I seriously doubt anyone will buy this above their reserve.

TelePlay

For posterity, 9 day auction starts at $9.99 with a $300 reserve. Seller states: "This is a beautiful Ivory Colored Model 302 Western Electric Desk Phone that works just as it did over 60 years ago. I've included brand new cloth covered ivory cords, a $42 dollar added value along with a modular plug so you can use it today. Unlike many ivory colored phones being sold on eBay this one has NO cracks, chips, hairlines, etc. Its in perfect condition throughout with only the slightest indication of fading. I have a small $300 reserve to cover my investment only so don't let this one pass you by!"

unbeldi

The description states no hairlines, but I can see one in the back right in the middle between the cradle posts. This is perhaps the most common hairline on these, an area of stress buildup probably from the curvatures present in the area, so much that the shrinkage often pulls up the rear corners and leaves the rear lower edge a bit curved.

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: unbeldi on November 01, 2013, 11:48:13 PM
The housing looks very nice, fairly evenly aged and darkened, and would look even better with an original straight handset cord.
But before you buy it, you should ask the seller what is wrong with the hookswitch. The plungers should pop up about twice as high, when the handset is off-hook. So somehow, something prevents that from happening and you have to wonder if the contacts are fully closed in this position, or whether something is bent out of shape.

I seriously doubt anyone will buy this above their reserve.

Yeah. I'm definitely not bidding, but you answered my question, that its not worth what they want.

Ben

WesternElectricBen

Thank you TelePlay for adding those pictures and the description.

Ben

Sargeguy

Ivory 302s are the most common color other than black.  Discolored sets are relatively inexpensive while pristine sets can go a lot higher.  Even the really nice ones do not fetch much more than $250 on a good day.  This one has shrunk, which is probably why the plungers are stuck. 
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

WesternElectricBen

Yeah. That makes scene, I hear rose is the most rare.

Ben

poplar1

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Sargeguy

Rose is probably the third most common, in my experience.  Peking red and green are about the same and blue is definitely the hardest to find
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Sargeguy on November 02, 2013, 01:52:37 PM
Rose is probably the third most common, in my experience.  Peking red and green are about the same and blue is definitely the hardest to find
Clear isn't an easy find.
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

WesternElectricBen

Sargeguy

I paid $85 for my rose 302 off of eBay.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

TelePlay

With about 21 hours left in the auction, this ivory 302 is sitting at an even $300.00. So, maybe $ 500-600?

WesternElectricBen

Thats amazing its gone up that high, I saw a rose BIN for only 100...

Ben