News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

W.E. Touch-A-Matic Transmitter doesn't work??

Started by Partyline4, January 25, 2018, 11:31:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Partyline4

So I picked up a touch-a-matic, you know, the orange one? and the transmitter doesn't work at all. I've never seen one like this from W.E., but it's got 3 leads, and is a small metal box about 1 inch by half inch. I'm wondering if there's anyone who has had experience messing with these transmitters? LIne cord has continuity, everything else seems to work BUT the transmitter...

AE_Collector

I think the first thing I would try is to click any other modular handset onto the cord and see what happens. Even if your temporary replacement handset has an old school type carbon transmitter I think something should happen. If it is still dead, try a different handset cord. If still dead, the problem is likely inside the phone somewhere.

Terry

kb3pxr

This may seem silly, but try reversing tip/ring polarity at the jack. It appears that this uses an electronic transmitter and if polarity was not taken into account, you could have a polarity issue even if the dial has a polarity guard.

Partyline4

Well I reversed to polarity, and I was able to yell into the transmitter, and I was able to barely hear myself on a message machine....Different handsets don't produce anything either..

It's a weird 3 connector transmitter, probably some transistorized deal crystal or something. Probably bad...