News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE 1950 501 A/B telephone

Started by TelePlay, September 02, 2017, 10:57:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TelePlay

Listed a bit more than a day ago in a 10 day auction with no reserve ( with thanks to WEBellSystemChristian for the tip ) and starting at $39.99 is a 1950 WE 501 A/B with a 426A and the small "operator" on the dial bezel. The seller provided external and internal images showing the phone to be in very good condition other than missing the handset receiver cap. The transmitter cap is a ivory "confidencer."  The listing has not received a bid since being listed, which is a bit surprising, so it may not. But then, it might so the question once again becomes who best knows what the phone will sell for when the auction ends?

The seller listed it as a "1950 Black Western Electric 501 A/B Rotary Telephone" with the item condition as "Used" and "No handset covers. No chips or cracks found." and with the auction listing description saying "1950 Western Electric model 501 A/B. Phone has the smell of soft plastic but I don't see the tell-tale stamp inside. Inside shows stamps from 12/50 on almost everything except the ringer which shows 2/51. Outer dial has the small "operator" under the 0. Original dial card is still on it under the updated number card. Other than missing the handset covers phone looks on great condition with no chips or cracks. Bottom handset cover has a "confidencer" on. One sticker on the side."

http://www.ebay.com/itm/382216658493

TelePlay

Anyone want to admit to winning this phone?

It was a 10 day auction that started at $40 and did not receive a bid for the first 9 days. In the end, it got 6 bids from 4 buyers, 4 of which were in the last 6 seconds. Sold for $104 plus $16 shipping.

It was suggested for an auction contest, which I had worked up, but waited for some bids before posting the contest. I didn't want to out a phone that was flying under the radar. It flew under the radar for 9 days.  I don't know if $104 was a deal for the buyer or the seller did well.

The phone was in very clean condition with what seems to be as built parts. Except for the two easy to replace handset caps, looks like a good, early 500.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1950-Interior-501-A-B-Rotary-Telephone-with-Black-Northern-Electric-Housing-/382216658493