"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Who Likes Old Clocks!!!

Started by Doug Rose, September 05, 2011, 02:20:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dsk

Still clocks are not my thing... but...
I couldn't resist a $50 clock on a local market.
I have to learn a little more about how they works.
A little oil, and tuning, and the clock is quite stable. About 1 min wrong pr week is ok.
The case got some treatment with some simple bi-wax, Iodine, and linseed oil. Smells horrible for a week, but it looks great.

Dating of the clock: December 1928!

Maybe I should change to clocks, much more for a little money.  ???

dsk

DavePEI

Quote from: dsk on June 19, 2013, 03:36:07 PM
A little oil, and tuning, and the clock is quite stable. About 1 min wrong pr week is ok.
The case got some treatment with some simple bi-wax, Iodine, and linseed oil. Smells horrible for a week, but it looks great.

Maybe I should change to clocks, much more for a little money.  ???

dsk

My grandmother used to swear by putting a open small dish of Kerosene in the bottom of old mechanical clocks - it would slowly evaporate and lubricate the mechanism. She was told this by an old swiss clockmaker in our home town. Have one of hers which has had this treatment for at least 60 years, and which still runs. Its original maker had dated the inside to something like 1787 under the movement in pencil.

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

dsk

If that really works, the clock makers has earned big money of telling about the demand of oiling every 2nd. or 3rd. year  :D

dsk

Bridie

I don't collect clocks but I was given a really nice clock/lamp years ago by the same person who gave me the WE D1 202.  It's a Telechron Litemaster Executor table clock/lamp, I believe from the 50s.  It works perfectly but the paint is scraped in a couple of spots, it's missing one of its feet and the inside of the glass on the clock needs a good cleaning.

Bridget

Contempra

A very nice clock Bridget ;)..the most collected are Westclox.. in America . the other brands are collected too ..I don't learn your something :D

dsk

Quote from: dsk on June 19, 2013, 03:36:07 PM
A little oil, and tuning, and the clock is quite stable. About 1 min wrong pr week is OK.

Maybe I should change to clocks, much more for a little money.  ???

dsk

During summer, this clock was moved to our cabin, were it fits perfect.

dsk

Quote from: dsk on April 18, 2013, 02:11:32 PM
Clocks are not my thing, but i Could not be anything but happy when I was asked if I wanted this BÜRK Clock. It was found when cleaning out at the school were I teach. The clock is the old master clock, and was also controlling the ringing for start and end of lessons. I'm not sure of the age but my guess will be about 50 years.

The suspension spring was defect, so I have got a replacement, not the right one, but it seems to work.
The original documentation claims an accuracy of +/- 0.7 sec pr day. I hope to I will be able to come close to that.

The mechanical clock has an electric rewind, this makes it having a mechanical backup of 12 hrs, and when power comes back it sends minute pulses accumulated to correct the electric slave clocks. Every pair minutes get a positive pulse, and every odd minute get a negative pulse.

And  :D my teenager son says it looks completely modern  ;D

dsk
I guess I reached that goal. 15 sec wrong pr month!
dsk

WesternElectricBen

Nice clock, and a very nice view!

Ben

Bridie

Okay, I said a few months back when I posted the photos of my Litemaster Telechron lamp/clock that I don't collect clocks, but I guess now I DO, cos I just bought another one  :)   Over the weekend I got a gorgeous Telechron Airlux (from the 40s or 50s) from a seller on Kijiji.  It's in really good condition - just needs a polish - and keeps perfect time. The alarm doesn't work, which doesn't bother me as I'm using it as a mantle clock.  I love this clock!  Apparently the Airlux has the distinction of being the only Telechron clock to have depreciated in value.  The bloke who runs the telechron.net website thinks it's not worth over $15.  I don't know why; it's a beautiful piece of artwork.  In any event, I paid $25 for it and judging by the prices being asked on ebay and etsy as well as the shipping costs, I'd say I got a bargain.

I'm on the lookout now for a Telechron War Alarm #1 for my bedside table.

Am thinking it seems to be cheaper to collect clocks then telephones  :-\
Bridget

AE40FAN

I also like the look of the "Airlux".  I have  a few Telechrons .  My favorite is the Pharaoh. 

Bridie

Quote from: Contempra on December 12, 2013, 11:51:12 AM
A very nice clock Bridget ;)..the most collected are Westclox.. in America . the other brands are collected too ..I don't learn your something :D

Thank you.  Not a bad clock/lamp for free, eh? :)  I haven't really looked at many vintage clocks although I'm starting to take a real interest in them now. 
Bridget

Bridie

Quote from: AE40FAN on March 27, 2014, 04:30:56 PM
I also like the look of the "Airlux".  I have  a few Telechrons .  My favorite is the Pharaoh. 

The Pharaoh is a stunner.  Do you favour the pre-war or post-war look?  It's too bad modern-day companies don't put the same amount of thought and energy into quality and style.
Bridget

LarryInMichigan

The Telechron Airlux is a very nice model, but it is not worth much because there are so many of them in existence.  Many of the ones I see for sale have scratches in the acrylic case, and they are a pain to sand.  The plastic emits nauseating fumes when sanded.  I think that I paid about $11 plus shipping for mine.  $25 without no shipping cost is a very good deal, especially in Canada.

Another very common Telechron model which is not worth much because it is so common is the Selector.

Be careful with clock collecting.  It can be as addictive as phone collecting.  I lost count of my Telechrons somewhere past 100  :)

Larry

Bridie

Oh yikes, I didn't know about the fumes, thanks for letting me know about that.  The lucite is in really good shape, with just a bit of crazing on the bottom right corner by the brass foot.  It looks like someone had put sticky stuff on the bottom too but that will would be easy to remove.  I was debating whether or not to sand the crazing but after your remark about the fumes, I think I'll leave it alone :)

100 Telechrons!?  Have you got photos of your collection?  I'd love to see them.

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on March 27, 2014, 09:58:58 PM
The Telechron Airlux is a very nice model, but it is not worth much because there are so many of them in existence.  Many of the ones I see for sale have scratches in the acrylic case, and they are a pain to sand.  The plastic emits nauseating fumes when sanded.  I think that I paid about $11 plus shipping for mine.  $25 without no shipping cost is a very good deal, especially in Canada.

Another very common Telechron model which is not worth much because it is so common is the Selector.

Be careful with clock collecting.  It can be as addictive as phone collecting.  I lost count of my Telechrons somewhere past 100  :)

Larry
Bridget

winkydink

My favorite would be the Telechron Smug (bird novelty clock of the 1930's)

I went on a clock binge last year and restored over a dozen of these beauties (and then gifted them away at Christmas so I am left with only 1 right now)

I also always like the Pharaoh.  Here is an example of a restored pre and post war models of the Pharaoh (models 4F61 and 3H151 respectively)

Telechron made some great clocks !