News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

GTE Automatic Electric AE80 with a transparent red body and a clear handset

Started by ....., June 24, 2020, 09:03:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I bought a GTE Automatic Electric AE80 with a transparent red body and a clear handset off eBay today.
The starting bid was listed at $145.00 CDN and there was a make an offer option.
I made an offer of $120.00 CDN, they turned it down, I re offered $140.00 they accepted it.
There will be no shipping charges as they are only a 45 minute drive from me. I pick it up tomorrow.
The phone is Canadian made from the AE Brockville, Ontario, Canada plant.
I spoke to the seller on the phone and he told me that it came from an estate sale of an older gentleman.
Brockville, Ontario is a one hour drive from Kingston, Ontario where I'm picking the phone up.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Vintage-See-Through-Telephone-By-Automatic-Electric-Monophone-/254632568063

Jim Stettler

You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

JorgeAmely

Jorge

SUnset2

I'm envious.  I've been thinking of bidding on it, but figured it would go really high at the end.  I never thought they would accept an offer below the starting bid.

Quote from: SUnset2 on June 25, 2020, 01:43:59 AM
I'm envious.  I've been thinking of bidding on it, but figured it would go really high at the end.  I never thought they would accept an offer below the starting bid.

To tell you the truth, I didn't think they would either!

HarrySmith

Very Cool! I did not know they even made them like that. Congrats!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Key2871

KEN

19and41

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

Changed the handset cord and put a dial card on it.
All the parts of this phone are authentic AE.
It's now displayed along with my others.

Doug Rose

Kidphone

AT2796

Awesome Duffy!
What a find.
You and Doug Rose remind me of some of the most successful hunters I know. They say it's easy, as long as you're dedicated. I reckon I'm just not quite dedicated enough. I get lucky now and then, but my freezer is nowhere near as full as you guys!

Congrats on a great find!
Andy

Quote from: AT2796 on June 25, 2020, 11:38:50 PM
Awesome Duffy!
What a find.
You and Doug Rose remind me of some of the most successful hunters I know. They say it's easy, as long as you're dedicated. I reckon I'm just not quite dedicated enough. I get lucky now and then, but my freezer is nowhere near as full as you guys!

Congrats on a great find!

Thanks Andy,

I don't know about Doug Rose's finds. But a lot of my finds have been luck, being at the right place at the right time.
I have been told many times that I have a horseshoe up my butt. I didn't believe them, so I went and had a x-ray done.
Here are the results.  :o

Doug Rose

Quote from: Duffy on June 26, 2020, 07:07:51 AM
Thanks Andy,

I don't know about Doug Rose's finds. But a lot of my finds have been luck, being at the right place at the right time.
I have been told many times that I have a horseshoe up my butt. I didn't believe them, so I went and had a x-ray done.
Here are the results.  :o
as for my finds, usually right place right time with a BIN. The Eiffel Tower I just won went to the very end and wnt very low.  One of my luckiest finds is Janet....she gets me a lot of great phones....other Doug
Kidphone

I gave the AE Ruby Red Body a once over and it looks to be a sample from the injection molding process. You can see the mold marks on the sides of the body. I'll post the pictures of the handset next.