News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

The Dead Princess

Started by vivi, September 24, 2010, 12:38:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HarrySmith

There is a retaining ring that you need to turn. Easier to understand with a picture, I do not have access to one right now, I am at work. Someone got a picture for her?
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

vivi

Harry, I got it off... fiddled and fiddled with what looked like a retainer wheel... he,he, he..... any suggestions on best way to clean both of these without damaging or removing painted #s on the number plate?  BTW, at phonecoinc dot com, they sell a plastic fingerwheel description:

Plastic fingerwheels. Replacement for all #500 sets one fits all WE; ITT; and SC original equipment. Also have AE please specify.
WEFW·····················$3.00    Add To Your Shopping Cart
AEFW·····················$3.00    Add To Your Shopping Cart

Is this what I need to replace this wheel? (WEFW)?
thanks!

~ Vivi
Hello? Hello? Are you there? ;p

Phonesrfun

Vivi:

You need the Western Electric finger wheel.  WEFW.

-Bill G

vivi

~ Vivi

HarrySmith

As far as cleaning, any general cleaner will do. I usually run my phone plastics through the dishwasher. The numbers are not painted on, if you look at the back of the number ring it is all black, the plastic is extruded through. You can sand it and still retain the black numbers as many of us have done. I guess $3 from them is not bad but I probably have a decent fingerwheel in my parts pile I would be happy to give you.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Dennis Markham

Harry, the number ring on the Princess is different than with the 500's. If that is sanded the numbers/letters are gone.  They are painted from behind, I believe.

Vivi, I would clean that clear plastic dial ring (with the maroon colored letters/numbers) with just warm water and a gentle dish detergent.  That's how I do mine, then carefully apply Novus2.  If you rub too hard on those numbers the paint will come off.

Jorge has some experience with repainting them, or filling in the recesses with new paint, or something that worked like paint.  Perhaps he'll chime in here.

HarrySmith

OOPS :o
Sorry, I forgot we were talking about a Princess ::)
Thanks for catching that ;)
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

vivi

Thanks guys! Well Harry, wish I'd read your post before ordering the new wheel but no biggie. I needed to order the plug anyhow.

Dennis - I will do what you suggest to clean the plate.  The number plate numbers are pretty nice and dark maroon still. The front is a little scratched and that's what I'll try to gently work on.  Thanks!

BTW, I couldn't find any new number cards at the phonecoinc website or how to print them although I could swear I've read about this SOMEWHERE (i've been all over the internet reading) how to print new (authentic looking) cards. I no longer own a typewriter (it's at my mother's) to type on the other side of the original one so i'll keep looking. Any thoughts?
~ Vivi

Dennis Markham

Vivi, this has been discussed on the Forum in several places.  One place to start is here:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=670.0

Forum member Sargeguy also makes cards.  You can see information here:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=3165.0

vivi

Hi everyone! Let me apologize for the delay in posting the promised pics of the previously dead but now WORKING princess.. here she is. This is the case and handset that I "oxygenized" BTW. Let me know what you all think:

I am now tackling problems with a red WE 500... but I will create a new topic for it. I now NOTHING about it and it's a mess! But I fear not because "the force is with me"!  ;)
Thanks for all the help y'all provided for this Princess! She's one nice phone now!
~ Vivi

HarrySmith

Congratulations, looks great :D
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

vivi

Thanks Harry! I need to change the cord because it's definitely too yellow for the phone now but besides that, she looks nice! The phone was that yellow color when I got it, so I am proud of the color too. No sanding, just 20% peroxide + oxy clean in the sun for 2 days. And then the rest I did with y'alls help!
~ Vivi

Dennis Markham

Vivi, it looks very nice!  Too bad we don't have a "before" photo, or do you?  Sure looks white.  There has been some recent discussion about dying the cords.  Perhaps you can do that with the white cord.

KeithB

Actually, have you tried peroxide/Oxy (Retr0bright) on the cord?
Or is this not advised for cords?

HarrySmith

I have not tried it on cords but it should work the same. It may bleach too much. I would advise try a little on the end that is not seen first :D
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"