News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

2x K6 phone boxes (and a postbox)

Started by FABphones, September 25, 2020, 12:41:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FABphones

Turned a corner and there were these treasures. Had to take a photo.

Two *K6 phone boxes - no doors and no glass (and no weewee!) alongside this equally gorgeous GR (**King George V) postbox.

So busy taking photos I forgot to check if they work....

*1935 the K6 (kiosk number six) was designed to commemorate the silver jubilee of King George V. It was consequently sometimes known as the "Jubilee" kiosk.

**George V (George Frederick Ernest Albert: 3 June 1865 - 20 January 1936) was King of the United Kingdom and the British Dominions and Emperor of India, from 6 May 1910 until his death in 1936.
He became king-emperor on his father's death in 1910.
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

countryman

They seem to be still in service for the public, just public phones as we knew them? Very nice in fact!
A number of British phone boxes found it's way to the continent for their distinctive style. One of them serves as an ornament and a book shelf in a British style tearoom just a few kilometers from me:

Unfortunately, there is no phone installed inside.

https://www.victoriascafe.co.uk/ (co.uk URL but located in Germany  :) )

david@london

I wonder where the doors & floors went. Just snip a few wires & they'd be an easy purloin if you were equipped with a.....

FABphones

Quote from: david@london on October 04, 2020, 05:45:33 AM
I wonder where the doors & floors went...

I assumed the doors (for our overseas friends here, the kiosks were cast, but the doors were wooden) rotted away, and the local council decided not to bother with the expense of replacing. The floors; they certainly do look odd without them, I was quite struck by that, but the kiosks aside from that appeared to be in pretty good condition, and clean.

So busy taking photos (yet no one gave me second glance) I forgot to go in and see if they work. I will be nipping back there this week especially to visit them, will take a few more close up structural and interior photos and report back.

:)

Here is a picture that was posted on Facebook.
It shows one being put together. You can see the door in the right bottom corner of the picture.

FABphones

Quote from: Duffy on October 04, 2020, 08:13:57 AM
Here is a picture that was posted on Facebook.
It shows one being put together. You can see the door in the right bottom corner of the picture.

This reminds me, when these kiosks were placed so closely to houses, often the nearby householders would give out the kiosk number to receive calls. They would wait nearby at an agreed time. I remember answering a ringing phone and being asked is there someone nearby waiting who looks like... (description), or someone would run up to the phone, puffing a quick thank you whilst taking the receiver in hand. Incoming calls often also began 'would you mind knocking on door number ** and saying <'name'> is on the phone'...

Here is another picture from Facebook.

Phone Box Pay Phone.

Owain

That's probably at Avoncroft but I wonder about a phone having 3-digit number but having a lettered dial?

I have one of the glass telephone signs from a phone box in my collection.

FABphones

Quote from: Duffy on October 04, 2020, 04:18:09 PM
I have one of the glass telephone signs from a phone box in my collection.

Here is mine  :D.
From the top of a K6. Very heavy.

Quote from: FABphones on October 04, 2020, 04:38:27 PM
Here is mine  :D.
From the top of a K6. Very heavy.

Very nice, I can only wish to own one.

tubaman

Quote from: FABphones on October 04, 2020, 08:49:13 AM
This reminds me, when these kiosks were placed so closely to houses, often the nearby householders would give out the kiosk number to receive calls.

I remember a family friend doing this when I was a youngster in the late '70s. The phone box was directly opposite his cottage on the other side of the road. He could still hear it ringing from his front room and could never see the point of paying to have his own phone.
:)

countryman

A German TV comedy picked up this issue in the 1970ies (30:30):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eEuqwMpobY

The lady in the pink shirt answers a call for Alfred who is just trying a diving suit, planning holidays. When he's finally on the phone, the wind blows his door shut, leaving him outside without a key. His costume and Ekel ("Crock") Alfred's nature then cause a lot of confusion before the police appears, eventually asking him "Are you a fetishist?"
The series was quite progressive for '70ies Germany, exposing all the Alfreds around...

German phone booths normally could not be called, somewhere in the series it was mentioned that this one could, due to an error or because Alfred corrupted the installer, I don't remember any more. The booth appeared on other occasions, too.

Later some German booths had a phone number inscribed and could really be called. I don't think this feature was used much.

Another Facebook find.

Arrivals, Heathrow (1946)

FABphones

Quote from: Duffy on October 05, 2020, 09:02:21 AM
....Arrivals, Heathrow (1946)

Crikey, Heathrow has changed a bit since then.  :o  :o  :o