News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Missbehaving 500 after cleaning with light soap and water.

Started by HobieSport, September 02, 2009, 06:58:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

McHeath

HobieSport

Thanks guys. I really want to start selling many of my phones on eBay (once they're fixed up all purdy-like) so getting the first listing up and running is a good step for me, even if it doesn't sell for much. I thought I'd just start with the simple not-very-old black 500.
-Matt

foots

That is nice and shiny. You know Hobie, this simple not very old black phone is the very first image I think of when someone mentions phones. These, along with the black dial ones are classics, in my opinion.
"Ain't Worryin' 'Bout Nothin"

HobieSport

Quote from: foots
That is nice and shiny. You know Hobie, this simple not very old black phone is the very first image I think of when someone mentions phones. These, along with the black dial ones are classics, in my opinion.

By the way, I got the shine using only Novus 2 and the Ryobi buffer. I did about three coats. It took a few buffs to get out a few of the scratches, otherwise the buffing work went really fast and easy. I love the Ryobi!

I just ordered the complete line of Novus 1-2-3 to try the "full Monty" so to speak, as I'd rather only use any sandpaper as a last resort for deep scratches. Also I'm really curious how the Novus 3 might work as the first rougher buff on bakelite, like on my AE 40s, and if the Novus 1 may ad an extra special last finishing touch. I also just really like using Novus as opposed to any "stronger stuff" because its so nice and benign, and doesn't stink, and I can do the polishing indoors.

And yes, the first phone I think of as a "classic rotary" would also be a black pre-1958 (or thereabouts) 500 with a black metal dial and leather feet. I have about ten of those to refurbish and sell, but most of the dials could use new paint. Right now I'm concentrating on the AE 40s.
-Matt

HobieSport

Well, I didn't get any bids on the '68 500. I know it's not a "special" phone by any stretch, and at $15 plus $15 shipping I can see the difficulty here...no matter how much I appreciate the good ol' black 500s.

Still, it's good practice as I learn to refine my presentations on eBay. Not to be discouraged, I revised the listing, changed the title to maybe show up better in a search, added some color and design elements, etc..

http://tinyurl.com/m9erf8

If it doesn't sell this time around, maybe I'll just use the term "art deco" in the title. Kidding!  ;) But I guess I could say "Not Art Deco" and that would be accurate and still show up in a search... ;D
-Matt

Dan/Panther

Matt;
The only thing I would change in your ad, would be to remove the part where it says; "It seems to work" That jumped out at me. Avoid like the plaque any reference that is negagtive.
Don't out and out lie, but list known problems, but avoid specualtion of unknown problems.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson