News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Dark Blue SC1443?

Started by WEBellSystemChristian, February 19, 2016, 08:04:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WEBellSystemChristian

Has anyone ever seen a blue 1443 like this? I know Two Tones exist, but I have never seen a Dark Blue before!

www.ebay.com/itm/231850356931
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

TelePlay

Sharp looking phone, regardless of authenticity.

Seller said "The photo above highlights the unusual, black, soft plastic dial blank and small S-C number card. I don't recall ever seeing a Model 1443, let alone a manual desk set. Possibly someone will chime in and educate us?"

Surprised it only has two bidders and is sitting at $14 one day after being listed in a 3 day auction.

WEBellSystemChristian

What's even stranger is that it was only listed in a 3-day auction. If it had been listed for a longer period of time, more people would have a chance to see it!
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

unbeldi

Dark blue was available for the later 1543 and companions, but this is a 1443.  From my observations, and readings, the 1400-series was only produced in black.

If the 1400-series was produced in color at all, it must have been a very late addition just before the 1500-series was introduced ca. 1954 or 1955. But I think it is much more likely that this was upgraded to color later.  The line was really discontinued by the time colors became popular in 1954/55. For comparison, WECo's 500-series color phone became available in quantity only in 1954.

The 1400-series came out after WECo introduced the 500-series telephones in 1949/50.  It was essentially a 1243 internally with a new look, a new housing, looking much alike the 500, to compete.

Internally, it used the same hydrolene-potted network that had already been used in the 1243.  The network in this set, is definitely the correct 1200/1400 network.

However, the ringer in this phone is No. 74-series, which I think belongs to the first generation of 1500-sets.  The 1400-sets used No. 71 (straight-line) and 72 (frequency-selective) ringers.

So, the set has at least two features that are 1500-series, and it makes it probable that the set was later upgraded. However, if original, it makes sense that it would be a two-tone, as it took more engineering to make handsets from thermoplastics.  The standard handset on the 1400 was still the 20-series (23/24) inherited from the 1200s.  Even some early 1500s can be found with them, although I suspect that not to be original either.   In many ways the lines between the 1400 and the 1500 are blurred, many parts were interchangeable.

Internally however, the 1500s were supposed to have the newly designed network type that was equivalent to the WECo 425 network.

AFAIK, the 1400s were available as 1443, a single line desk set and wall mountable with a conversion hookswitch, the 1444 extension set without a ringer or induction coil, and the  1447 which was for rural service on CBS-LBT lines.  All came either in dial or manual versions (-M suffix).

unbeldi

Here is a two-tone 1543 in the center.   I once lined these up for comparison, left a 1443, in the center a two-tone 1543, and finally a much later (early 60s) 1546.  I think I may have posted this before when I got my brown version.

I also have a batch of 1444s, all black.

Jim Stettler

Here is an old thread. I think the gold painted SC is a custom factory finish. It has a neat dial paint and clear plungers. It is the closest I have to a clear SC1543.
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=4244.msg54975#msg54975

Jim S.

I have quite a few more Sc 1543's now.
Found the auction contest photo I posted I bought this in January  2011 for less than $40.00 BIN Delivered. The winner that month was a pink 5302 for $50.00
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

TelePlay

Sold for $76.00 plus $10.60 shipping. Buyer was h***m ( 1313 ) with his first and only bid, a last second snipe, placed 7 seconds before the auction ended. There were 8 bidders placing 14 bids.

TelePlay

Just noticed this folded paper jammed in between the ringer and the hook switch mount. What is it?

paul-f

Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

unbeldi

By my observation, S-C was quite diligent when it came to including the wiring diagrams in the phones, and this seller (Kleenax)  is diligent as well by maintaining that when present.  I am not sure that means the blue housing is original though to this 1443.  I am keeping an open mind, perhaps other 1400-sets show up this way, although, I believe this to be the first colored one, I have observed.

A 1400-series sales brochure was available on eBay sometime perhaps early last year,  I think it didn't sell, but may have missed another auction. It only showed black telephones.  I saved the auction images, cover here: