News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Landline replacement - Cellular Gateway?

Started by stupido, September 26, 2022, 09:02:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stupido

Hi everyone,

I recently got my Windstream bill for my landline.  Another rate increase.  It has more than doubled since May.  So,  I guess it is time to drop it.  I had this current phone number since 1992.  It went from GTE, Verizon, Altel and now Windstream.

So I want to port my number over. I have not been impressed with with VoIP.  Least my workplace's switch to 8x8.  Maybe it is better with other suppliers.  So I have been looking at cellular solutions.  There are several dubious gateways to be had on Ebay and Amazon.

But Consumer Cellular has the Home Base Phone Base for $73 and monthly plans as low as $15.  Much better than Windstream's current $74.  Consumer Cellular from I understand is a reseller of AT&T.  I have T-mobile for my cellphones but having a different carrier could be a plus.  Redundancy.

Compatibility with rotary dial phones is not necessarily as i could run the line through my NEC NEAX 2000 PBX.  I would be able to make outgoing calls but I could receive them (if I ever get the trunk programming correct).

So what options have you looked at?  Are there better VoIP options out there?

BTW,  I am sure Windstream is just going to keep jacking the rates up.  Kentucky has removed the landlines from the PSC oversight in the larger cities and the FCC says it's OK to drop support too.

Thanks
Max (former GTE employee, Transmission)

markosjal

I just posted on another thread that CenturLink here in the Portland, OR area is cutting off copper service and I have an "antique phone friendly" voip service. I can even get your current number ported.

Mark
PortlandTel.com (under construction)
+1 503 773 6519
Phat Phantom's phreaking phone phettish

Babybearjs

I got the T-Mobile internet and the modem has 2 RJ45 jacks on it so I was able to interface it with my wired network VIA a 24 channel switch. I also got a Ooma terminal and was able to get free VOIP service through them. I am slowly transitioning over to VOIP on my 1A1 system. hopefully I'll be able to port over my numbers from Centurylink.
John

markosjal

What is the current cost of Ooma Telo service in your market? I know they once said it was free but when I took my mom off of it they were charging a lot more than free.

Never understood how you can charge taxes and fees on $0 and I think it is a deception with too much fine print.
Phat Phantom's phreaking phone phettish

ka1axy

Quote from: markosjal on December 19, 2023, 03:25:52 PMWhat is the current cost of Ooma Telo service in your market? I know they once said it was free but when I took my mom off of it they were charging a lot more than free.

Never understood how you can charge taxes and fees on $0 and I think it is a deception with too much fine print.

It's something like $80 for the Telo box at Amazon, then about $6 a month for the service, here in MA.

Ooma says the $6 is solely statutory fees and taxes applied to each PSTN line by local, state andfederal authorities. Since $6/mo is way less that any of the othe VOIP providers charge, I'm fine with it.