News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Bell phones favorite plus 52870

Started by benkeys, August 29, 2012, 12:18:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

benkeys

First off, is anyone familiar with that model of phone? If so, I have a couple questions about it. There was something rattling around in it, so i opened it up and this little piece fell out(see pics) I'm pretty sure it connects to the ringer volume switch.I dont know exactly how or where it goes, and was wandering if someone may be able to tell me? Also, when its used at the same time as another phone(as in picking the phone up to join a conversation) it seems to loose power, and i still can hear but the mic doesnt seem to pick up my voice. What would cause that? Ive had this phone for many years, and i like it, but bc of that issue it sees use every once in a great while. I know its not my phone service or other phones, as i have no problem doing this when i pick up my 554 or 500.
Ben K...  1960 WE 500 and 1972 SC 554   Always enjoying the sound of a phone with a bell ringer ringing....

G-Man

Yes, that is part of a ringer volume adjustment linkage but since the telephone was not manufactured by Western Electric/AT&T I am not sure how much of its internal design is shared with legacy instruments.

Northwestern Bell and other RBOC's slapped the Bell name on cheap, off-shore knock-offs that they commissioned for consumer sales once they were no longer permitted to lease/rent them to their subscribers.

I am sure that very little documentation exist for them since they were considered to be throw-away sets.

Photos of the inside may reveal if yours is an exception to the rule.

twocvbloke

I think those are basically just known as Trimline or Trimstyle phones, especially if they're later post-breakup phones... ???

G-Man

Quote from: twocvbloke on August 29, 2012, 06:41:06 AM
I think those are basically just known as Trimline or Trimstyle phones, especially if they're later post-breakup phones... ???

Trimline is/was a pre-divestiture registered trademark of Western Electric and trimstyle is a descriptive term for the clones that followed.

twocvbloke

Ah, I've not ventured into these types of phones, I know I can get one under the Dialatron brand, but, they don't really catch my eye, not even the originals.... :D

benkeys

Ok, now i need to know how to fix it.. I dont think its a "knock-off" as the handset has some weight to it. Also it would be nice to have some idea as to why it looses power. Roughly about how old would you guys think it is?
Ben K...  1960 WE 500 and 1972 SC 554   Always enjoying the sound of a phone with a bell ringer ringing....

poplar1

These phones began to appear after divestiture 1/1/84 (the breakup of AT&T). The baby Bells were not allowed to manufacture phones but they were allowed to label phones made by others as "NWBell", "BellSouth", "PacTel", "SWBell (Freedom Phone)", etc. There were for a while even some genuine Western Electric/AT&T Technologies sets with the NWB logo. They soon ditched the real WE sets for these cheaper imports.

I don't think weight should determine its being a knock-off or not. I do think buyers mistakenly think that the weight=quality. I once opened a retail phone from Taiwan and found that the weight in the handset was from genuine fishing weights!
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

benkeys

Here are pics of the inside of the handset, and inside of the base of the phone. Looks like a good quality made phone. On the inside of the handset cover it says property of USWEST.

poplar1

Makes you wonder if they were still leasing phones since it says property of US West.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

benkeys

Ive had it probably 10-12 years. Its a good phone besides the problems i listed.

G-Man

The photos show the use of consumer-grade pc-boards and components, definetely not the quality of trim-style telephones manufactured by Western Electric, Stromberg Carlson, ITT, Automatic Electric, etc. In short, it is a knock-off.

That said, back to your original problem. If no one on this forum is able to assist you, I would suggest contacting Unical Enterprises, the importer of Northwestern Bell telephones and products. They are located in California. Below is a bit of history of US West and Unical:

Until 1990, US West was a holding company with three Bell Operating Companies: Mountain States Telephone & Telegraph (or Mountain Bell, based in Denver, Colorado); Northwestern Bell, based in Omaha, Nebraska; and Pacific Northwest Bell, based in Seattle, Washington. In 1988, the three companies began doing business under the US West Communications name. On January 1, 1991, Northwestern Bell and Pacific Northwest Bell were legally merged into Mountain Bell which was renamed US West Communications, Inc.

Northwestern Bell Phones is able to operate effectively due to its vertical integration. It maintains R&D facilities in Korea and Taiwan, production facilities in China and marketing sales facilities in California.
It starts with Research & Design facilities in USA,China and Korea, where experienced network, software, electro-technical, acoustical and RF engineers work together to invent many new products, concepts and technologies for use in the wide assortment of products marketed by Northwestern Bell Phones.

Its production facilities in China and beyond are first-rate, well equipped and have gained various international accreditation for quality and dependability. Northwestern Bell Phones currently over 3,000 people in production facilities in Shanghai, Xiamen and Shenzhen, equipped with the newest manufacturing equipment. In all of its plants, ICT Testing (In-circuit testing), SMT (Surface Mount Technology), AI ( Auto Insertion ) and Automatic soldering machines have been installed as a requirement for Northwestern Bell Phones brand eligibility.

Northwestern Bell Phones' facility in Xiamen, China boasts 24 production lines with a daily production capacity of 50,000 telephones. It produces corded and cordless telephones for Northwestern Bell Phones' customers in 40 countries.

Our facility in Shanghai, China specializes in the production of various cordless technologies, such as 900MHz and 2.4GHz. This facility is equipped with the most-modern manufacturing and test equipment to produce efficiently and effectively. Its daily production capacity is 12,000 cordless telephones.

Northwestern Bell Phones' marketing facilities are all located in California. It houses various sales and marketing departments, as well as warehousing, shipping and handling a large amount of daily transactions, whether in the USA or for its Export markets. Fully computerized and automated logistics warrants trouble-free and accurate business transactions.

Quality Assurance

All Northwestern Bell Phones products are manufactured according to strict BELL quality standards to ensure quality, dependability and durability. To enforce these quality standards to be applied on each and every shipment, Northwestern Bell Phones employs a dozen of external QC inspectors who checks and verifies the checking of each and every shipment according to the quality norms as specified by BELL IP Holdings. In this way, Northwestern Bell Phones can assure the end-user of optimal product satisfaction.

benkeys

If i cant fix the ringer adjustment or figure out why it looses power, no big deal, i just thought someone could possibly help me on here. I'm not going to pitch the phone just bc its not working the best or bc its a knock off.. i'll just use it as is, and was going to put it on my work bench in the basement, that way i dont have to bring a cordless down there or come up to answer the phone. 

G-Man

Obviously it has worked well for you until recently and you are well satisfied with it so hopefully someone has one of these models and will be able to take some photos that show how to re-integrate the part.

Actually, the ringer looks as if it is of decent quality, much better than latter versions. Perhaps it has the same footprint as a standard min-ringer and you could swap it out.

MaximRecoil

I don't know about the ringer volume switch, but as for losing power to the transmitter/mic, I would reflow every solder joint on the PCBs (starting with the ones that seem relevant to the transmitter/mic), and check continuity on all the wires with a meter while wiggling them.

However, the way you described the problem (i.e., it only happens when you pick up while someone is already on a call on another extension), is strange. Does anyone know if anything is happening differently on a phone system, electrically speaking, in such a situation?

twocvbloke

Quote from: MaximRecoil on August 30, 2012, 08:28:24 AMDoes anyone know if anything is happening differently on a phone system, electrically speaking, in such a situation?

Thinking about it, I have the same issue with my BT Viscount phones, if used on something that doesn't provide enough juice (e.g. my linesman phones), it loses power, being electronic and requiring a specific voltage range to operate properly.... ???

It could be that the line this phone is being used on isn't supplying enough power to run said phone and another at the same time, so the question is, what sort of line is it? As in, a traditional copper pair or a VOIP thing with an ATA where the line comes in? If the latter, maybe it's not the phone at fault, but the ATA not behaving properly...  ???