News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

1959 WE 511 from Antique Store

Started by WEBellSystemChristian, November 22, 2014, 03:49:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WEBellSystemChristian

Today I found a black 1959 511 2-line in an antique store for $18. It was in good condition, so I bought it.

I opened it up later on to find out that the dial (a 7H) has a color code of -60 (light beige) with the date of the base (9-59). Do you guys think that I should convert this back into a light beige set, or leave it as a black phone? If I should turn it back to beige, does anyone happen to have a beige 500 housing with a two line hole drilled in it, preferably late '59, early '60s?

(Pictures will be provided once I get home)
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

WesternElectricBen

I would honestly leave it, it can be a pain tracking down exactly what you need. And, when you find original date parts you end up ruining the casing of a perfectly good phone.

At least, that is what I think..

Ben

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: WesternElectricBen on November 22, 2014, 03:55:39 PM
I would honestly leave it, it can be a pain tracking down exactly what you need. And, when you find original date parts you end up ruining the casing of a perfectly good phone.

At least, that is what I think..

Ben
Well, I was wondering if anyone had a beige  housing that already came from a 2 line 500, I would never consider destroying a '59 or '60 housing to notch a 2 line hole in it.
Christian Petterson

paul-f

I could argue this one either way.

If it were mine, I'd be tempted to "restore" it to its original color.  Displaying a beige 511 appeals to me more than displaying a black 511.

Either way, none of the parts is scarce enough (in my opinion) that they should remain unmolested.

It's your phone and your collection, so do whatever you like.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

WesternElectricBen

How about this, restore it now and display it. But, when you decided you don't like the look any longer or you found a replacement, you can retire the black plastics.

Ben

Dennis Markham

Christian, I just went rummaging through parts to see if I had a 7H dial with a black color code.  No luck.  I have one marked Aqua, along with the bezel.  Don't know when I'll ever use that but Aqua won't help you out.

I agree with Paul's comments.  It's your collection, do what you like.  Sometime in the future you may decide to do something different with it.

~Dennis

Doug Rose

Christian...is this what you need...Doug
Kidphone

WEBellSystemChristian

Thanks for the replies about different dials I could use, but I don't really need a new dial. I would want to have new plastics, but it may be a long time beore I find beige plastics from the time period I would want them from. Either way I go, I would leave the current dial in it's place, because it's original to the base.

I think I'll keep the phone as-is, just because it will be so hard to find the parts that I'll need, and until I find them, I'll keep this phone black. It's not like the current plastics are in bad shape, they're actually in really good shape!

Again, thanks for pulling out the dials for me, guys, but there isn't a problem with the color code stamp not matching the phone color, the problem is the phone color not matching the color code stamp (if that makes sense).

FYI, Doug, that dial is for an Ivory 500. Someone here probably is in need of a new dial for their '55 ivory.
Christian Petterson

WEBellSystemChristian

I'm thinking about reviving this project, like I need another one to start! ;D

First off, does anyone have a decent hardwired housing--preferably with the rectangular badge--in beige for a 500 that they would be willing to part with? I don't need one with a cutout for the signal key anyore, I can just drill it out will a drill press (doing this worked well with my custom mushroom project). I'm also in need of a beige dial bezel, along with an open-center fingerwheel (I need a ton of these for other projects of mine).

Second, it just occurred to me that I've never heard of a 7H dial. What's different about this from a regular C or D dial?
Christian Petterson

unbeldi

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on May 19, 2015, 10:34:07 PM

First off, does anyone have a decent hardwired housing--preferably with the rectangular badge--in beige for a 500 that they would be willing to part with? I don't need one with a cutout for the signal key anyore, I can just drill it out will a drill press (doing this worked well with my custom mushroom project). I'm also in need of a beige dial bezel, along with an open-center fingerwheel (I need a ton of these for other projects of mine).

Second, it just occurred to me that I've never heard of a 7H dial. What's different about this from a regular C or D dial?

I am sure he simply mistyped.

However, there was a 7H dial as well, it was the color version of the 7G dial (black). The 7G and 7H dials were used on the amplified sets in the 530 series. Those needed an extra ON switch.

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: unbeldi on May 19, 2015, 11:22:48 PM

However, there was a 7H dial as well, it was the color version of the 7G dial (black). The 7G and 7H dials were used on the amplified sets in the 530 series. Those needed an extra ON switch.
He was me! :)

I checked the dial tonight, and it definitely is a 7H. So, what would the application for the dial on this set be for?
Christian Petterson

paul-f

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on May 20, 2015, 12:35:00 AM

I checked the dial tonight, and it definitely is a 7H. So, what would the application for the dial on this set be for?

Check out Fig. 19 in BSP 502-501-102 issue 1 (Feb 70) in the TCI Library.  Note the dial types for the 511 C and D sets and the wiring.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

unbeldi

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on May 20, 2015, 12:35:00 AM
Quote from: unbeldi on May 19, 2015, 11:22:48 PM

He was me! :)

Oh sorry, I should have read the entire thread going back, and yes, some of the early 511s also had the 7G or H, also some key sets needed it, 565 series.  They needed it to eliminate the amplification of the dial pulses in the speaker phone.