News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

g2 and 687a subset

Started by oldsplicer, February 11, 2012, 01:57:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldsplicer

I have a g2 (marked on phone ) and a 687a subset.  I need help with the correct wiring.  I get dial tone but that is it.

G-Man

Quote from: oldsplicer on February 11, 2012, 01:57:13 PM
I have a g2 (marked on phone ) and a 687a subset.  I need help with the correct wiring.  I get dial tone but that is it.

Your phone requires a network to operate unless you choose to do a hack with a resistor and capacitor.

The best option would be to add 425-network which would, in essence convert your 687-bell set into a 685-subset.

425-networks should be plentiful and inexpensive. Another hack would to use an Automatic Electric mini-network instead.

oldsplicer

Thanks for the answer. At least I now know I am not crazy because it only got dial tone.   In this case I have resistors and caps.  If I could put them inside the box and they would not show, would you let me know how to do this.

Thank you for your help.

oldsplicer

I was able to get a 425 k  from a touch tone phone that had many parts missing.  Will this work with the parts I have. If so, how do I wire them together?

Thanks

bingster

If you remove the silver condenser (marked with an "X"), you'll find two mounting holes (marked by arrows) that will line up with the brackets on the network.  The networks were originally riveted in place, but you can use small nuts and bolts or pop rivets to do the job.  The condenser can be tossed in the phone parts box, because there's a condenser in the network that takes the place of the silver one you have.

From there, you can conform your wiring to the 211 diagram on page 6 of the document found here:

http://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php?option=com_docman&task=doc_details&gid=2754&Itemid=2
= DARRIN =