"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AE 80 Dial Help! Can't Dial Out

Started by debeaune, August 16, 2015, 05:59:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

debeaune

Quote from: poplar1 on August 21, 2015, 08:38:12 AM
G-man, I actually quoted your original statement, and reiterated it, that he should remove the yellow or blue dial pulse lead. So I was in complete agreement with you. My point was that in my opinion, that's a more surefire way of making sure the circuit is broken, since the dial pulse contacts are in series with the line. If there is still dial tone with the dial pulsing contacts disconnected completely, then it's a waste of time to clean contacts, open contacts with a card or thumb, dial with the hookswitch, etc. I didn't mean to imply that you were personally suggesting all of these methods; I just meant that you and others had suggested various methods, and that my personal preference was to remove the dial pulse lead, which you had also suggested as quoted.

I also changed the wording in my statement (see edit) to maybe clarify that if the dial tone is still present with the dial pulsing leads disconnected, then no kind of adjustment of the dial will help.

I pointed out earlier that I think its not the actual phone but instead the service.  I have 3 AE 80s and all 3 now do the same thing and as I was asked to do, I also tested a 302 and it also does the same thing now.  The 302 worked perfectly less than 3 months ago so I know its not the phone (s) but instead some thing in my service.  My 500s all work perfectly so I am assuming its some level unique to this style of AE and the 302s.  Does this point to anything regarding my service and if so, is there anything I can place in line to try to remedy it? 

debeaune

Quote from: Phonesrfun on August 20, 2015, 08:09:13 PM
If dial shunting of the entire line is the root of the problem, you should have exactly the same problem with a 302.  Do you have a WE 302 to try? 

PS:  I seem to remember that this problem came up a couple (or few) years ago.  Seems that the newer electronic services don't like the shunted line.

Bill, please check my previous post, I did test the 302 and it is giving me the same issue as my ae80s, they will no longer dial out.  The 302 worked perfectly before so I know its something different in the line now vs the sets.  My 500s all work perfectly still so not sure what could be the line issue or what action I can now take to fix it so any ideas would be appreciated.  Thank you

poplar1

In the 302, try temporarily disconnecting the slate-red lead from R on the dial.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

AE_Collector

Doesn't the fact that debeaune stated that he CAN NOT hookswitch dial pretty much confirm a problem with the phone service? Yeah it might have very tight pulse per second requirements but after several attempts without breaking dial tone can it still be the AE phones? Maybe I missed a post.

Will any phones in the house break dial tone when hookswitch dialling? If FIOS is now not permitting dial pulse dialling first call and ask about it. Maybe they can turn it back on.

There is other equipment that you can use to turn the phones pulses into tones but check with FIOS for an easier fix first.

Terry

Phonesrfun

It's really weird because he says his 500's work fine, so you'd think he could hookswitch dial to break dial tone with any model phone.
-Bill G

debeaune

Quote from: AE_Collector on August 21, 2015, 11:03:07 PM
Doesn't the fact that debeaune stated that he CAN NOT hookswitch dial pretty much confirm a problem with the phone service? Yeah it might have very tight pulse per second requirements but after several attempts without breaking dial tone can it still be the AE phones? Maybe I missed a post.

Will any phones in the house break dial tone when hookswitch dialling? If FIOS is now not permitting dial pulse dialling first call and ask about it. Maybe they can turn it back on.

There is other equipment that you can use to turn the phones pulses into tones but check with FIOS for an easier fix first.

Terry

Terry, I can break tone and do hook switch dialing on the AEs.  Does that help describe my issue and possible solution?  Thank you

debeaune

Quote from: Phonesrfun on August 21, 2015, 11:09:32 PM
It's really weird because he says his 500's work fine, so you'd think he could hookswitch dial to break dial tone with any model phone.

I was able to hookswitch dial on the AE and can dial out regularly on the 500s, does this help diagnose issue? 

G-Man

Earlier you stated you could not hookswitch dial and have I missed your responding to the several request that you disconnect the shunting contact springs on both your AE-80 and WECo 302 sets? 

The reason that it was suggested you insert a resistor or remove leads for the shunt contacts is because the electronic devises they are interfaced with may not function properly when they are totally shorted. Your 500-sets do not short the line like the other two models so they appear to be functioning properly. It would appear that something has changed with your FiOs modem, whether it is a power supply or another issue.

Once more, please heed the request for temporarily removing the shunt leads on the affected sets and reporting back with the results. Also, what was the final result of your inserting a resistor between terminals "10" and "11"?

debeaune

Quote from: G-Man on August 22, 2015, 11:17:59 AM
Earlier you stated you could not hookswitch dial and have I missed your responding to the several request that you disconnect the shunting contact springs on both your AE-80 and WECo 302 sets? 

The reason that it was suggested you insert a resistor or remove leads for the shunt contacts is because the electronic devises they are interfaced with may not function properly when they are totally shorted. Your 500-sets do not short the line like the other two models so they appear to be functioning properly. It would appear that something has changed with your FiOs modem, whether it is a power supply or another issue.

Once more, please heed the request for temporarily removing the shunt leads on the affected sets and reporting back with the results. Also, what was the final result of your inserting a resistor between terminals "10" and "11"?

Gman, I would like to do that but honestly there are so many recommendations I do not clearly see which request IDs the 2 shunting leads to disconnect, could you please advise which I need to remove to perform this test?  Thank you

G-Man

Start by following popular1's recommendation of temporarily disconnecting the slate/red wire from "R" on the dial of the 302.

On the AE Type-80, temporarily disconnect the dials white wire from terminal "2" and the red wire from terminal "4".

Let us know the results on each of those sets.

G-Man

Quote from: G-Man on August 22, 2015, 08:39:57 PM
Start by following popular1's recommendation of temporarily disconnecting the slate/red wire from "R" on the dial of the 302.

On the AE Type-80, temporarily disconnect the dials white wire from terminal "2" and the red wire from terminal "4".

The following 302 wiring diagram shows the dial's "R" terminal.

debeaune

Quote from: G-Man on August 22, 2015, 08:39:57 PM

Gman, disconnected the wires as advised, no change, still won't break dial tone when trying to dial.

G-Man

OK, please verify that you disconnected the switchook leads when you inserted the resistor on your AE-80.

Are you able to try this set at a neighbor or at work where they have regular POTS telephone service?

Also, have you plugged your 500-set into the same jack as the malfunctioning AE-80 and check to see if it also works? Please don't assume that the 500-set works at that jack just because it once did in the past.

G-Man

Quote from: G-Man on August 23, 2015, 07:23:34 PM
OK, please verify that you disconnected the switchook leads when you inserted the resistor on your AE-80.

Are you able to try this set at a neighbor or at work where they have regular POTS telephone service?

Also, have you plugged your 500-set into the same jack as the malfunctioning AE-80 and check to see if it also works? Please don't assume that the 500-set works at that jack just because it once did in the past.

Also, do you subscribe to more than one telephone line?

debeaune

Quote from: G-Man on August 23, 2015, 07:23:34 PM

Sorry Gman, went out of town.  Put a 620 Ohm resistor between 10 and 11, same issue.  Have tried the 500s on every line/jack, they work fine.  Only my AEs won't dial out on any jack in the house.  Will try the AEs at a neighbors house later this week.