News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AE 80 Dial Help! Can't Dial Out

Started by debeaune, August 16, 2015, 05:59:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

debeaune

Evening all, have a question on an AE80 I'm working.  Its a Freq ringer, but I placed my .47uF 640V Cap in line and it rings beautifully.But with or without the cap, I cannot dial out.  I just get dial tone throughout as I dial. Seems I had this issue before and discussed it here but I cannot find an earlier post on it.  I know pictures hard to see so Handset is wired as follows: White on 4, White on 23, Black on 23, Red on 5.  Dial is wired yellow on 11, Red on 4, Blue on 1  and white on 2.  Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Tim

andre_janew

I have an AE80 and I can dial out with it.  The dial is wired like yours.  The handset has different color wires than yours, but if the two white wires go to the receiver and the red and black wires go to the transmitter, then White 4, White 3, Black 3, and Red 5.   

G-Man

Who is providing your telephone service and what type is it? Is it connected directly to a conventional telephone line or through a modem such as used by AT&T Uverse, Verizon Fios, or Comcast cable?Do you have any other rotary telephones working on this line?Some of these services do not support rotary dialing.

debeaune

Andre, mine is wired the same.  Can you advise how your dial is wired, colors to terminal numbers please?  Thank you.

debeaune

Could I have the wrong Cap on here, just curious, 47uf 630VDC Mylar/Polyester Capacitor?

stub

Go here and download the last ( AE 80 (NC=WA1154A Network) Wiring Diagram.pdf - posted by Terry  -   http://tinyurl.com/okf7zm7     stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

andre_janew

Quote from: debeaune on August 17, 2015, 07:46:21 PM
Andre, mine is wired the same.  Can you advise how your dial is wired, colors to terminal numbers please?  Thank you.
I have Yellow 11, Red 4, Blue 1, and White 2.  This is how mine is wired.  On the bottom of my phone there is a number that starts with NB.  I'm not sure what it means.  It may have something to do with the type of network I have. 

NorthernElectric

Quote from: andre_janew on August 18, 2015, 01:25:02 PMOn the bottom of my phone there is a number that starts with NB.  I'm not sure what it means.  It may have something to do with the type of network I have.

Paul F. has a page on his site here that will help you decipher it.
Cliff

debeaune

Stub, great to hear from you sir, hope all is well.  Have the wiring diagram for the Type 80 WA 1154A Network. Original wiring shows to be wired for Hookswitch on Hook, do I need to convert to Hooklatch per the diagram or is this a negative?

Thank you , Tim

debeaune

Reviewed wiring per schematic, I am wired exactly as the diagram for WA1154A shows except I have a .47uf 640 V Cap in line for ringer.  Still can't dial out, just get dial tone throughout dial motion and after. Any thoughts?

G-Man

Quote from: debeaune on August 18, 2015, 07:02:32 PM
Reviewed wiring per schematic, I am wired exactly as the diagram for WA1154A shows except I have a .47uf 640 V Cap in line for ringer.  Still can't dial out, just get dial tone throughout dial motion and after. Any thoughts?

Your set appeared to be wired correctly so I will repeat myself with the following questions:

Who is providing your telephone service and what type is it?

Is it connected directly to a conventional telephone line or through a modem such as used by AT&T Uverse, Verizon Fios, or Comcast cable?

Do you have any other rotary telephones working on this line? Some of these services do not support rotary dialing.

stub

Tim,
       Review G-Mans questions and then send a photo of the back of the dial in question.  stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

Phonesrfun

Quote from: debeaune on August 17, 2015, 08:07:08 PM
Could I have the wrong Cap on here, just curious, 47uf 630VDC Mylar/Polyester Capacitor?

Wait a minute!  a 47Mf cap?  Is that a typo?? Normal ringing caps are one hundredth of that value at 0.47 mF.  If yours is a 47 mF DC cap. then that would definitely cause problems, including not being able to dial out.  If it is no typo, and you indeed have a 47 mF cap, then pull that cap out of the circuit and see if that doesn't just solve your problem!  :)

Never mind, I read your original post.  Looks like that was a typo.

So, check the pulsing contacts on the dial and make sure they are opening and closing, and make sure that the yellow and  blue pulsing contact wires are not touching together.  Check all the terminals on the circuit board where the wires are screwed down.  Make sure no wires are crossing over to the other contacts.

Your phone has a proper network, so there is no need to decipher the model number on the bottom.

And G-man makes a good point.  All too often we see people chasing this and that only to find that they are on a newer phone system that doesn't support rotary dials.  If you have other rotary phones that work on your line then this one should work too!
-Bill G

debeaune

GMan, its verizon and I do have other rotary phones that work on this line.  Sorry for not answering you earlier, lost track of the messages.  Thank you.

debeaune

Here are pictures of the back of the dial, hope this helps, thank you.  Tim