News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

NOS Western Electric 565 HK - but is it?

Started by TelePlay, May 15, 2015, 01:43:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TelePlay

This has been on eBay for 5 days now, 2 days left. This very nice looking listing photo caught my eye, along with the price so I "watched" it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/391140154276

Well, 5 days later, it hasn't moved in price.

If you look at the only photo of the base, it shows a white sticker and corrosion around the neoprene feet. So, to me, this seems to be a very nice phone out of a refurb shop.

Does NOS accurately describe this phone?

poplar1

Since it's in a box, that must make it new? Not really. Even if it has new plastics, it's not new, but rather "C" stock, a telephone company owned set that was sent back to WE for refurbishing.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

podor

It is clearly a referbished unit. It's no longer numbers matching, so the value is fair IMHO. It does have the larger line card cover, so it may be an older referb, or a painted shell. It hasn't been converted to modular yet, pointing to an older referb. That's a good phone to put to use.

Russ Kirk

I agree, refurb.  I nice add to a collection - if one displays it with the box. Otherwise, it is nicer than others, but NOT a NOS set.
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

WEBellSystemChristian

Refurbed? Yes. New? Depends on how you look at it.

It could be considered new because it's fresh out of the refurb shop, which intended to make 'new' again, and it hasn't been used since then.

If you think about it, a NIB two-tone 500 isn't new if you look at it from the perspective that a visit to the refurb shop means it isn't new. Those sets had housings that were either changed out right after assembly (no longer all-original-off-the-assembly-line) or had the housing swapped out in-the-field, which counts as an in-field change (probably wouldn't still be NIB by that point, but it could happen).

Short answer, no outside-the-box thinking: No, not new, but still in the box since the refurb visit. Nice phone, anyway!
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford