"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Rotary Telephone rings when dialling on digital phone

Started by Phatz, January 20, 2011, 04:06:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phatz

Hi,

Please bare with me not sure if this is in the right area.

My wife and I have purchased an old rotary phone, it works on a phone line by itself but when connected to the same phone line with a digital phone( both  on the same line), whenever we use the digital phone to dial out for example the old phone jingles each time we dial a number on the digital cordless phone? Its as if its picking up the signal from the key press on the digital as an incoming call?

Can someone suggest any ideas i.e. some type of filter for the Rotary phone or something?

Many Thanks

Wallphone

Welcome to the Forum Phatz. What kind of phone is your dial phone, and do you have any pictures? Some phone schematics say that if your are getting "Bell Tingle" while dialing another phone that you should reverse the two ringer wires (not the line wires). Taking a picture of your phone will probably help in solving this problem.

HarrySmith

Welcome to our little community of Phone Phreaks!
Doug is correct, we need a little more info to help solve your problem and a picture is worth a thousand words. The bell tinkle issue is a common one and it has nothing to do with using a  rotary with a digital phone, it occurs with any 2 or more phones on the same line.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Jim Stettler

There is a bias "spring" on the ringer. This is just a straight wire then runs next to the clapper. Sometimes you need to flip the wire onto the other side of the notch. This is the first ringer fix I try.
Good-luck,

Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Phonesrfun

Sounds like the digital phone may be sending dial pulses to the outside world, rather than tones.  I would expect a modern phone to send tones.  Perhaps it may be as simple as seeing if there is a switch or a programmable setting on the digital phone for tone dialing rather than pulse dialing.  Other than that, we need more information to be of much help, like Wallphone has said.
-Bill G

AE_Collector

Quote from: Phonesrfun on January 20, 2011, 11:02:11 PM
Sounds like the digital phone may be sending dial pulses to the outside world, rather than tones.  I would expect a modern phone to send tones.  Perhaps it may be as simple as seeing if there is a switch or a programmable setting on the digital phone for tone dialing rather than pulse dialing.  Other than that, we need more information to be of much help, like Wallphone has said.

That's what I was thinking too. I've never heard of a push button phone causing bell tap in an extension phone so maybe it is converting to pulses. Now we need pictures of the modern and the old phone.

Terry

Phatz

Thanks for the warm welcome and the ideas - will have a look at the tone, pulse dialing first, then try the other options. Apologies for the delay will get the pics up tomorrow - Saturday

Phatz

Photo as promised - only real identifying mark says 332L Googling it is a GPO Black Bakelite?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

gpo706

Phatz - is indeed a 332, L just means letter (alphanumeric) dial rather than F for figures.

I don't understand how you're getting bell tinkle out of a button set unless its not a "DTMF" button set but just generating pulses - "loop disconnect".
"now this should take five minutes, where's me screwdriver went now..?"

AE_Collector

Phatz - When you dial a number on your modern phone do you hear the DTMF tones as you push each button? Does your call begin to ring at the distant end within a second or two you having finished pushing buttons or is there a longer delay for ring back tone?

Terry

Phatz

Thanks will get the exact details for you soon, got to pop out for a bit

Phatz

I am so so sorry guys  :-[  :-[ , after actually plugging the phone back in ( I hadnt dont this for a while so truly got my wires mixed up!!) its actually reverse of the symptoms I posted. What an absolute idiot I feel like and sorry for wasting good posts, I wouldnt be suprised im bounced for this, please accept my apologies. Ok this is actually what happens

I plug in my digital phone to the phone point. Ring out, ring in no issue with dial tone.

I take out my digital phone and put in my 332L. Ring out and ring in no issue with dial tone.

Plug in my digital phone and 332L on to same phone system i.e. phone port in bedroom and phoneport in lounge. I then ring out on digital phone no issue with dial tone, ring in digital phone rings and picks up fine but nothing from  my 332L. I then try ringing out on the 332L, there is no dial tone but crackly interference,  everytime I dial a number on the 332L the digital phone rings?
The digital phone has a base unit with answer machine, basic Southwesternbell Freedom phone. Again apologies for my screw up!

Phonesrfun

Can you describe what you mean by "Digital" phone?  Sounds like you may be talking about phone which is still analog, but which uses a tone pad to dial, rather than a rotary dial.

Let's just call it the "newer" model.  Assuming that this is the case, this "newer" phone would still be suceptible to bell tinkle from another rotary dial phone on the line.

The next question to ask is what kind of ringer does this newer phone have in it?  If it is a mechanical ringer, the bias spring can be adjusted to minimize or eliminate the tinkle.   Try that.
-Bill G

Phatz

ok, I guess this could be the case. Got an image of the photo for description.

Uploaded with ImageShack.usThe phones on its way out anyway so will go for a true digital phone - probably not for this forum but as per previous posts shall I try and find one with tone dialing or pulse dialing and is DECT digital as opposed to analogue, to get passed this issue I have

Phonesrfun

Well, whether it is digital or analog, it is still all electronic, and so there is nothing that I know of that can be done to adjust or modify the ringer in the electronic phone in any way.

That being said, you could try doing what was suggested earlier and reverse the wires on the GPO phone and see if that mitigates the problem.

Older phones hooked up with older phones were easy to adjust the ringer that was tinkling.  Since your newer phone is all electronic, there is not much to be done.

Here is a suggestion, however, go out and get another old phone when you ditch your electronic phone  :)

-Bill G