News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE Spacesaver

Started by wds, June 09, 2019, 06:29:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wds

I picked up this very nice spacesaver phone.  All gray, like new.  The phone housing is new paint, as well as the ringer base.  It looks like this is factory paint, and the dial box is stamped 685A, but in addition to a ringer it has a dial pad.  Has anyone seen a dial / ringer like this one?  The cut out for the dial pad is very well done, factory smooth edges and not home made. 
Dave

Key2871

That's a first for me... But looks like they did it well, tone dial and network all in one. Clever.
KEN

Babybearjs

:( why would someone do that? what a waste of a subset... it doesn't even have a network in it...
John

Jack Ryan

Quote from: Babybearjs on June 09, 2019, 11:08:37 PM
:( why would someone do that? what a waste of a subset... it doesn't even have a network in it...

Someone did it because they could and because they wanted to. I would be disappointed if someone added a DTMF dial to a Strowger subset but not so much about this one.

I don't know the circuit but that looks like a "network" attached to the back of the keypad board.

Jack

Key2871

John, take a closer look at the dial. It has the network built into it.
KEN

HarrySmith

Interesting. Is that a modular handset cord? I so have you opened up the phone yet? It would be interesting to see how it is terminated inside. What is on the dial card? Definetely not a home made project, appears to have been professionally built and nicely painted.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Key2871

Looks to be a flat cord, so it's newer not the older round cord. But it does look well done, I like it well enough.
KEN

wds

The handset cord is flat, but not modular.  I took the phone apart but didn't think to take pictures.  I was more interested in the dial assembly.  Could this be a newer WE made dial and network using the 685 ringer box? 
Dave

HarrySmith

Definetly a newer dial. I am not sure if it is WE or not. I do not work on TT phones much. I seem to recall some talk about WE pads with the networks built in but I am not sure. Yes, built into the subset box, the back plate for it looks to be brand new, no signs of regular subset parts having been installed or removed, that is another thing that led me to believe it was professionally done, possibly by WE. Cool find.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Jim Stettler

You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

HarrySmith

Those TT space savers are very hard to find! It's on my want list.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

RB

Man! that thing looks cool!!! 8)

Babybearjs

quit looking, and you'll find it.... when you're not looking....it will be right there in front of you at the price you want to pay.... (and of course, it will show up when you DON'T have any money!)
John

Jim Stettler

I used to have a NOS black. I had it for years it  was a decade and half ago that I sold it.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.