News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Subset for WE 201

Started by djtownsend, April 24, 2011, 02:45:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

djtownsend

I just purchased a WE 201 Spacesaver on ebay.  I obviously need a subset for it and I believe the subsets that this phone works with are 634 and 684.  On ebay, I see a subset but the designation is unknown.  Can someone please help me identify this subset?  There are two pics, the phone I purchased and the subset I'm trying to identify.

I do know that the phone needs an E1 handset.

Thanks in advanced for your help.

Dan

Phonesrfun

The subset pictured is a 634 and will work with the spacesaver.  4 wires are needed between the spacesaver and the subset.  You can either use a 4-conductor line cord or inside station wire having 4 or more conductors.

-Bill G

rdelius

That set is a 211 and an F1 handset is proper for it .Earlier production sets might have had an E1. Look for a date code inside. Good thing you got the mounting bracket.
robby

Phonesrfun

I am no expert on the design variations of the spacesaver, but the one you have appears to be a G1 body based on the dial and the dial turrett design.  If that is the case, the G1 would have had an F1 handset rather than an E1.  The E1 would have been on the C1 mount and would have had a different turrett.

Maybe someone else can chime in.
-Bill G

djtownsend

Thanks all for the responses especially about the model number and the handset that is appropriate for this phone.  I've seen pictures of this phone with brown curly handset cords as well as a brown wire from the subset to the wall.  Is that appropriate and should be replaced or should it be a straight cord?  I want to make this phone as accurate as possible.  Any other suggestions on parts that should be replaced?

Bill,
What is an inside station wire?  I'm new to this so I'm still learning terminology for this habit forming hobby.   :D  

I'm also restoring a 202 w/ subset.  Should they have brown cloth covered cords or is that just a preference of the person doing the restoring?

Phonesrfun

Generally, the 202 aka the "D" mount came with straight brown fabric cords originally.  Through the years, many phones went through field replacements of the cords due to the fact that they were always twisted and turned, and became the thing probably most likely to need replacement.  When a repairman would respond to a call to replace a cord, they usually had a supply of the newer stuff on the truck.  Additionally, in the 50's they might have given the subscriber the option to have a neoprene curly handset cord.  Some later 202's also had fabric curly handset cords.  By far, the most original version is brown straight fabric, that can be purchased from oldphoneworks and phoneco.  I have replaced some of my own with black, and I don't consider it to be sacreligeous (some may) to pick and choose cordage, since it is easily changed out and was in the field routinely in reality.

As to the 211 spacesaver, I dunno.  The 211's could have had just about anything on them.  Since the whole idea of a spacesaver was to save space, the coiled handset cord would make sense, but I think straight would be a good bet too.  It could have had neoprene and later vinyl at some point in the lives of the many phones out there.

Never assume that a 60+ year-old phone has its original cords on them.  Some do, but many do not.

Station wire is the vinyl jacketed multi-conductor wire with 4, 6, or 8 conductors that runs inside walls to the jacks in your home or apartment.  It is solid wire as opposed to the kind of more flexible wire that is used for phone cordage.  If you are going to mount the spacesaver on the wall and have the subset mounted on the wall and never move either, then station wire is a good choice.  that is how they were originally installed.

If you plan on having the subset on the floor where it can get moved or kicked around, you probably want to get a 4-conductor deskset cord which is more flexible.
-Bill G

bingster

Quote from: Phonesrfun on April 24, 2011, 03:22:45 PM
I am no expert on the design variations of the spacesaver, but the one you have appears to be a G1 body based on the dial and the dial turrett design.  If that is the case, the G1 would have had an F1 handset rather than an E1.  The E1 would have been on the C1 mount and would have had a different turrett.

Maybe someone else can chime in.

Ages ago I posted a photo of Paul Whiteman's bedroom, which had a G-mount with and E handset mated to it.  But the fact is that the extra ridges around the E's receiver can catch on the F-style hook and prevent the hook from lowering completely when the phone is hung up.  For that reason, I doubt the E handset was at all common on the G-mount.  

Incidentally, the 685 subset is also appropriate for this set, and if you're not using the phone in a noisy location, the 534 and 584 will work fine, too.
= DARRIN =

djtownsend

I realize I bought a 211 and thought it was a 201.  Now I just bought another spacesaver and think it is a 201.  Can any verify that this is a 201?  I assume that a 634 subset would be suitable for this phone.

Thanks for any info provided.

Dan

bingster

That is indeed a 201.  It would have originally come equipped with an E1 handset, as this F1 doesn't fit the hook as well as an E1 would.  But that's the 201, regardless of the handset.  It's really nice that it's got both a bracket and a backboard.  And yes, the 634 is appropriate for this one.  The 684 and 685 are fine, too.  And in a pinch the 534/584 will work, too (but with sidetone).
= DARRIN =

djtownsend

Bingster,

Thanks a lot for the info.  As a matter of fact, I just got a 685 subset so I can use it w/ this phone.  The 685 subset is the first one I've gotten of this model.  Is there a wiring diagram somewhere which tells me how to hook up the phone to this particular subset?

I'm psyched about this phone.  It is in decent shape, just needs to be repainted from what I can tell.  I'll probably sell the phone and subset as a combo one I get everything working but it is real cool looking.

Dan

bingster

Quote from: djtownsend on May 26, 2011, 02:42:58 PMIs there a wiring diagram somewhere which tells me how to hook up the phone to this particular subset?
Absolutely.  Head over here:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=784.0

...and scroll down to the 685 subset diagram.  Your subset likely has a terminal strip in it, but it's not necessary for this.  Just remove the wiring from the terminal strip and attach it directly to the network as shown in the diagram.  Then connect the cord from the phone as shown. 
= DARRIN =