News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AE clear fingerwheel dial card installation?

Started by WEBellSystemChristian, October 28, 2015, 12:18:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WEBellSystemChristian

I was in the process of restoring my '59 AE90 today, and since it's Sand Beige, it had a clear fingerwheel and nickel dial card retainer.

I was confused on how I was supposed to remove it, and after a couple Youtube tutorials and a little coaxing, it finally came off. When I tried installing it, it just wouldn't cooperate. I tried searching here, but only info on the metal fingerwheels came up. I tried figuring it out for almost 2 hours, and after coming close to chucking the phone across the room, I just gave up for the night.

My question was; how do you install the dial card on a clear fingerwheel on late '50s AE models? The design on both the dial card and general fingerwheel mounting equipment is substantially different from the black version, so there's obviously some different process involved between the two for installation.

Any help would be great!!
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

G-Man

AE has used several different methods to access/mount number cards on their finger-wheels. Most have been covered on this and other lists. For a more specific answer, a photo showing the type of finger-wheel in question would probably be of great help.

poplar1

See paragraph 5.07 on page 9, and figure 7 on page 11, for removal of "chrome escutcheon assembly."
See 5.12 on page 10 for installation.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

WEBellSystemChristian

Here's the dial. Sorry for the bad pictures, I was rushed to leave for school.
Christian Petterson

AE_Collector

This FW and number card assembly is the first clear plastic AE type made for colored plastic AE phones. I dont see instructions for its removal and reinstallation in the document that G-man posted (though I didnt spend a lot of time looking) and the page and paragraph that poplar1 quoted is for the more common earlier FW and number card used on most earlier AE dials with metal FW.

This type hooks in first near the finger stop and then clicks down between on the tab near 5&6. The chrome ring has a little tab with a hole in it that locks onto the point on the steel tab that protrudes through the plastic finger wheel at 5&6. You need enough pressure on the chrome ring to push its tab deep enough to ride over the steel point protruding through the FW near 5&6 and then catch on it.

If it wont click on after hooking the first tab in at the finger stop and then simply pushing hard around the 5&6 hole then the tab on the chrome ring is bent too far outwards to snap onto the steel point.

Another example of not the best design but those early clear fingerwheels with chrome ring sure look nice on the colored AE phones!

Terry

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: AE_Collector on October 28, 2015, 10:39:33 AM
This FW is the first clear plastic AE type for colored phones. I dont see instructions for its removal and reinstallation in the document that G-man posted and the page and paragraph that poplar1 quoted is for the more common earlier FW and number card.

This type hooks in near the finger stop and then clicks down between 5&6. The chrime ring has a little tab with a small hole in it that locks onto the point on the steel tab that protrudes through the plastic finger wheel.

If it wont click on by simply pushing hard around the 5&6 hole then the obe or the other of tge two tabs are bent or need adjusting. Another example of not tge best design but those fingerwheels with chrome ring sure look nice on the colored phones!

Terry
The backing plate for the dial card actually contained the tab with the hole, not the ring itself. I was comparing it to another black ring I have, and there were a few differences between the two.

I was trying to press that tab into place, but as you said, it won't work by simply pressing. I also tried adjusting the tab with the hole, but it still won't give.

It's annoying how the WE design was so simple and equally as beautiful, and this was so hard to figure out with so many different designs and tools to use them on, yet I still don't have it! >:(
Christian Petterson

AE_Collector

I have added a couple times to my previous post so check back for more info.

But...backing plate for the dial card? I am wondering if you have a few stray parts from previous designs mixed in there. Or, I may just not be remembering it correctly. May need pics of the rest of tge card holder parts.

They are tricky, not a great design. But when everything is correct they work.

Terry

WEBellSystemChristian

Thanks for that!

The problem may be that the tab is bent too far inward. The problem was that it wasn't pushing down far enough, as if the tab were resting on top of the spider instead of moving past it or clicking into place.

I'll try getting pictures of the problem and dial card retainer set tonight.
Christian Petterson

AE_Collector

I bet that is the problem if the number card assembly wasnt getting close to being down all the way flat on the FW. The tab on the card holder ring has to be just right to not land on the steel tab if bent in too far or to hit the plastic FW if bent out too far.

Terry

poplar1

Terry, I may have misread this practice -- it was 2 AM here, after all-- but I believe it is 5.01 that talks about removing the escutcheon from a metal finger wheel (moving the tab "counterclockwise"). 5.07 that I cited is about chrome escutcheons on "D-780697-A acrylic finger wheels." ("Gently apply force upward and outward.")

Figure 5 shows removal of the escutcheon from a metal finger wheel using the H-26917 dial escutcheon Tool. But Figure 7 shows the "Escutcheon Removal for the D-780697-A acrylic finger wheel" with a xcrewdriver.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

stub

WEBellSystemChristian ,
                           Here's how I did mine with and without dial card .  Insert pocket screwdriver in between 5 and 6 and push to release clip. When time to reinstall ( 005 ) push down on the dial card in the 5 and 6 area with your thumb, like in last pick, till it clicks and you should be good to go.   stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

AE_Collector

Yes, you are correct. The info on this fingerwheel and number card holder is there in the practices. I skimmed over it too quickly. Sorry about that.

Terry

Quote from: poplar1 on October 28, 2015, 05:09:20 PM
Terry, I may have misread this practice -- it was 2 AM here, after all-- but I believe it is 5.01 that talks about removing the escutcheon from a metal finger wheel (moving the tab "counterclockwise"). 5.07 that I cited is about chrome escutcheons on "D-780697-A acrylic finger wheels." ("Gently apply force upward and outward.")

Figure 5 shows removal of the escutcheon from a metal finger wheel using the H-26917 dial escutcheon Tool. But Figure 7 shows the "Escutcheon Removal for the D-780697-A acrylic finger wheel" with a xcrewdriver.

WEBellSystemChristian

I figured out that the tab on the spider mount was bent downward a little too far. After a little adjustment with that and the tab on the dial card backing plate, the card clicked into place perfectly!!!

I'll try getting a courtesy picture of the almost-restored phone a little later!
Christian Petterson