News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Letting go...

Started by Sargeguy, December 05, 2013, 09:59:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sargeguy

My wife is a jeweler and her studio is having it"s big holiday sale. The owner of the studio knows I restore old phones and asked me to put some in the show.  The owner takes a 20% commission on all sales! which is pretty reasonable.  I thought it might be time to thin out the collection a bit and generate some $$$ for some new items.  I dragged my Panasonic 616 to the studio and hooked up a few phones, including:

-a 51-AL with Bell System markings including the receiver cap and a 2AB with Notchless 132-B dial plate 684 subset.
-a NE 293 with cowbell gongs 229w/144
-a minty D-1/E-1 with 5H and mint 150A plate.  684 subset.
-a 1950 302

I printed up instructions on how to use the phones to call each other and hear them each ring.  It was fun talking to people and demonstrating them.  It seems everyone has a story or a memory of an old phone.  Also, there was free wine and snacks.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

LarryInMichigan

What has sold?  I spent a couple of hours last year by the booth of Pete Blanshard at the local flea market, and I was impressed by the number ofpeople who stopped at the booth and talked about the phones they remember or the ones that they still have in their attics.  Several people bought phones from him while I was there.  These were polished phones at non-bargain prices.  I would expect the patrons at a jewelry studio to be even more interested than those at a flea market.

Larry

WesternElectricBen

Hey, that is pretty cool, I didn't know jewelry went with phones!

Those phones all look excellent and it would be really cool to try them out before buying. Good idea!

Ben

Contempra

normaly not Ben :D but its a plus you know ;)

WEBellSystemChristian

I would personally buy that 202...just kidding, someone out there needs one more than me ;D
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Sargeguy

Technically I have not let go of anything yet!  I am asking $200 for the 202/684, $225 for the 293, $90 for the 302 and $450 for the 51-AL/684. The rusty NET&T sign is $125.   As you can tell, I'm not super anxious to sell the 51-AL.   
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

$300 for the 301A and $125 for the harvest gold 1968 refurb that was never re-issued.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

poplar1

Which method did you use for connecting the ST 51AL to the AST 684A?
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Sargeguy

I just hooked it up as if the 684 was a 584.  Seems to work
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

poplar1

Connecting a 51AL to R GN and L2Y--without anything but the black capacitor wire on BK--means the capacitor that is part of the secondary circuit is not serving any purpose. There is another way to use a sidetone (102, 20AL, 50AL, 51AL) phone with an anti-sidetone subset:

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Sargeguy

QuoteConnecting a 51AL to R GN and L2Y--without anything but the black capacitor wire on BK--means the capacitor that is part of the secondary circuit is not serving any purpose. There is another way to use a sidetone (102, 20AL, 50AL, 51AL) phone with an anti-sidetone subset:

Thanks!  What is the benefit of using the secondary capacitor, sidetone reduction?

The show is running this weekend and next, so I added a couple new purchases to capitalize on the Christmas spirit:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281222745365

http://www.ebay.com/itm/301035446205
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Bridie

Wow, I love the green WE D1 202. What a gorgeous colour.
Bridget

Contempra

the red phone is my oprefered Bridget ;).... colorful and bright in a house or apartment...

Sargeguy

After speaking with people and demonstrating the phones I have to say, those "quaint" old dial cards that had instructions on them are now relevant again.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

unbeldi