News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

American Electric wall phone

Started by 1930, February 26, 2014, 06:10:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

G-Man

Rechecking the images I see where I transposed my comments regarding the hinges; it appears that part of the circuit on your set is carried through them while the diagram posted by Stub shows discrete wiring. This would possibly indicate that your set is of a slightly older vintage.

Also, while not deadly, yes you can receive an annoying shock from the magneto if you touch an exposed wire or connected metal surface while cranking it.

While I don't recall ever seeing fuses on wood wall sets you may want to double check the binding post to see if they are there.

Quote from: G-Man on March 01, 2014, 09:00:51 AM
The photo shows what is most likely a slightly older version of your set. 
While “close” some of the differences include the use of the hinges for part of the electrical circuit and the line terminals are located within the set unlike yours which connect the outside line via exposed binding post. Also, the induction coil is mounted in a slightly different location.
The [local] batteries are used to power the transmitter and should not exceed 3-volts so as not to “fry” it.
If you want to use your set on a modern common battery line, some modifications will be necessary.
IIRC, Keystone was another telephone manufacturer/assembler that used parts made by American and was eventually absorbed by them.
Quote from: 1930 on March 01, 2014, 07:07:00 AM
Quote from: Sargeguy on February 28, 2014, 01:00:36 PM
So it looks as if this model, unlike the Western Electric equivalent 317, is local battery only. 

• The terminals on the top hold fuses, they are a lightning arrestor that protects the phone (and person speaking on it) from electrocal damage if lightning strikes the telephone wires

• The two coils that ring the bell are called a ringer

• The thing in front of the magneto is the hookswitch

• Replica batteries that use D-Cells are available on eBay in telephone>pre-1940 secTION

• Batteries provided the current necessary to carry sound over wires, they were either inside the phone (local) or at the Central Office (common)

• You should be able to crank the magneto without doing any damage.  It should ring the ringer.

The terminals on the top hold fuses, they are a lightning arrestor that protects the phone (and person speaking on it) from electrocal damage if lightning strikes the telephone wires  Got it, will these need to be used still
The two coils that ring the bell are called a ringer ................Ok so I have Bells and a Ringer

The thing in front of the magneto is the hookswitch...................... Makes sense, so than that contraptions is called the hook

Replica batteries that use D-Cells are available on eBay in telephone>pre-1940 secTION ........................Like to find a color picture of the correct original batteries so that I can find as close as possible duplicates

Batteries provided the current necessary to carry sound over wires, they were either inside the phone (local) or at the Central Office (common) .....................Great so how do they fit in today with my plans of hopefully being able to use this phone?

You should be able to crank the magneto without doing any damage.  It should ring the ringer. .............But how about damage to myself, is there any one area I need to not be touching while cranking. I know an automotive magneto will provide quite a shock

Bill

Quote from: stub on February 28, 2014, 08:15:58 AMHere's all I could find on your phone. Left click on pic to enlarge it.
Not meaning to hijack the thread, but how did you post the pic to enable not just one, but two levels of magnification? When I post a pic, it is what it is, and that's all it is. Your magnify-able pic is a much better way of doing it.

Bill

stub

Bill,
      I don't have a clue, mine have always been like that. I found out by accident. I take a regular pic ,and don't try to resize it, and let the Forum software take care of it.   stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

poplar1

Quote from: 1930 on March 01, 2014, 06:54:31 AM
Quote from: stub on February 28, 2014, 10:44:34 AM
         You can find batteries on e-bay sometimes.  stub

David, I don't have a clue!   stub
Would you happen to have a picture of a real live battery. Id like to find a set if possible. Are the batteries necessary for phone operation and why?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/201044482994

Seller says they were installed 12-2-21.

The batteries complete a circuit through the transmitter, hook switch and the primary of the induction coil. They aren't necessary for hearing the other party but rather for your own transmitter.

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Bill

Just FYI, there are a lot good scans of old-fashioned dry cell battery labels on line. New drycell batteries are available, and you can print out an "old" label and paste it on the new battery if you are looking for an authentic appearance.

Here's an example of label scans. There are many others - Google "dry cell battery label scan" or something similar.

http://www.crystalradio.net/misc/batteries/index.shtml

Bill

AE_Collector

Quote from: stub on February 28, 2014, 11:02:45 AM
Didn't Keystone have these made for them by Am. E ?    stub

I had forgotten that but I think you are correct Stub. Keystone Electric was another manufacturer of telephones though I don't know for sure if they made some of their own phones or just rebranded other manufacturers phones.

1930: Did your receiver have a round thin metal disc inside just behind the receiver cap? You remove the cap and then slide the disc (usually black) off to the side as it is held on magnetically. Then you would see the frequently brass Colored metal and magnet/coils etc.

Terry

Quote from: G-Man on March 01, 2014, 09:15:20 AM
Rechecking the images I see where I transposed my comments regarding the hinges; it appears that part of the circuit on your set is carried through them while the diagram posted by Stub shows discrete wiring. This would possibly indicate that your set is of a slightly older vintage.

Also, while not deadly, yes you can receive an annoying shock from the magneto if you touch an exposed wire or connected metal surface while cranking it.

While I don't recall ever seeing fuses on wood wall sets you may want to double check the binding post to see if they are there.

My name is Jason Anderson, I am an avid collector of early Dodge Brother/ Graham Brother car/ Truck literature. Have anything to trade or sell?

Not sure which picture you are referring to but on my set there are no wires that pass thru the hinges assuming you mean the hinges that separate the faceboard from the rest of the box.

Thats what I though on the mag, thanks for the warning. BTW the little dinger does move when I turn the handle.

Not clear on what you are mentioning here...........While I don't recall ever seeing fuses on wood wall sets you may want to double check the binding post to see if they are there...........

I have two fuses on the top of the box.
My name is Jason Anderson, I am an avid collector of early Dodge Brother/ Graham Brother car/ Truck literature. Have anything to trade or sell?

Quote from: poplar1 on March 01, 2014, 09:12:15 PM
Quote from: 1930 on March 01, 2014, 06:54:31 AM
Quote from: stub on February 28, 2014, 10:44:34 AM
         You can find batteries on e-bay sometimes.  stub

David, I don't have a clue!   stub
Would you happen to have a picture of a real live battery. Id like to find a set if possible. Are the batteries necessary for phone operation and why?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/201044482994

Seller says they were installed 12-2-21.

The batteries complete a circuit through the transmitter, hook switch and the primary of the induction coil. They aren't necessary for hearing the other party but rather for your own transmitter.

Thanks those are neat. At least I can find a label now hopefully since I know what to look for

Quote from: Bill on March 02, 2014, 01:10:24 PM
Just FYI, there are a lot good scans of old-fashioned dry cell battery labels on line. New drycell batteries are available, and you can print out an "old" label and paste it on the new battery if you are looking for an authentic appearance.

Here's an example of label scans. There are many others - Google "dry cell battery label scan" or something similar.

http://www.crystalradio.net/misc/batteries/index.shtml

Bill

Thanks Bill, Im gonna check into this

Quote from: AE_Collector on March 02, 2014, 02:00:12 PM
Quote from: stub on February 28, 2014, 11:02:45 AM
Didn't Keystone have these made for them by Am. E ?    stub

I had forgotten that but I think you are correct Stub. Keystone Electric was another manufacturer of telephones though I don't know for sure if they made some of their own phones or just rebranded other manufacturers phones.

1930: Did your receiver have a round thin metal disc inside just behind the receiver cap? You remove the cap and then slide the disc (usually black) off to the side as it is held on magnetically. Then you would see the frequently brass Colored metal and magnet/coils etc.

Terry

Hi Terry, I hope I am understanding you correctly and am showing you the parts you are asking about.

Is it safe to assume that you collect Automatic Electric telephones hence you A.E screen-name?

I am asking because I am getting no-where with company history for the phone, I am confused I guess.

I was told that American Electric was sold to someone else at about 1929 or so if I remember correctly and yet I am seeing American Electric telephones up to at least the 40s on an E-bay search?

Anyway if you need more pics let me know. Receive appears to be bakelite but just a guess.

Can someone tell me what I am missing here, pictures would be better.

I would like to attach this ringer deal but there has to be something in between the wood and the steel mounting plate?

poplar1

Quote from: 1930 on March 02, 2014, 05:08:18 PM

[snip] Receive[r] appears to be bakelite but just a guess.

Receiver is a later version (probably 1940s) capsule type. It uses the same receiver unit as an AE 41 handset.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

stub

Receiver is a Automatic Electric type 42 an goes on a Automatic Electric 42 phone (1st pic) and the 41 handset as David stated.This type of receiver is first shown in the AE 4055 C Catalog, 6 - 1940, pg. 18 .
         You will need 2 small thin wood spacers to clear the magnet and some short screws to mount the ringer .
         I used the Columbia labels for my batteries that I got from the same site that Bill posted. stub

Kenneth Stubblefield

Wrong receiver, interesting, can someone show me what the original receiver would have looked like?
I guess there is a possibility than that the phone was still in service in the 40s.

Maybe I am misunderstanding. Is it being said that the entire deal I would hold to my ear is incorrect/not original or is it the parts within this deal....just for clarification.

Like I had mentioned in my first post a phone expert ( Jerry in Kansas if memory serves me ) said that the receiver was original so I am assuming you guys are referring to the innards parts/pieces.