News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

What part am I missing? Stromberg Carlson Wooden Wall Phone

Started by sigtau150, September 01, 2014, 06:43:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sigtau150

Hi everyone,  I am new to group as I just inherited a phone when my grandfather passed away and I was looking to hang it up in our new house. When my father took it down off the wall, I am thinking he lost a part since the mouthpiece was always attached to the phone at my grandparents house, but now the thread on the mouthpiece is smaller than the opening on the arm of the phone (see 2nd picture).

Can you let me know what piece I may be missing and where would I even look to find another one?

Also, any other info you may have on the phone (time period, model, etc) would be awesome.

The cool thing is my grandfather was able to get it working back in the day when they had an old rotary phone/land line, so I am sure it still works if I get a home line.  Tossing that idea around still.  :)

Thanks,
Ed

wds

There was probably tape around the thread of the Black Mouthpiece to get it to screw on.  You should buy a proper sized mouthpiece for that transmitter.  They go for pretty cheap, $10 or so. 
Dave

sigtau150

Do you know what size to get for this model?  Can I get an original easily somewhere? I don't think it was taped though, since I remember playing with it and moving the arm for the mouthpiece up and down as a kid and it never fell off.

Thanks!

wds

Dave

LarryInMichigan

I have bought a few candlestick phones which came with the wrong size mouthpiece held in place with glue.  The Stromberg Carlson transmitters use a larger mouthpiece than many or most other makes.

Larry

TelePlay

Have you checked out this site?

http://www.oldphoneworks.com/reproduction-stromberg-carlson-mouthpiece.html

It's a reproduction but if that doesn't matter to you, it may fit right.

Unfortunately, their web site shipping from Canada is a bit high but if you send an email to them, they may be able to work with you to find a cheaper way to mail it to you.

There are other sources if you care to search for them.

Here's another near the top right of the page with part number "T350 SC 1"·········$10.00" from the US but it doesn't say if original or reproduction or if coarse thread. They do have contact links on their site to ask them.

This is just a quick post to get you going.

sigtau150

Thanks guys!  I guess having a replica doesn't make that much of a difference for me.  I can always get a real one down the road.

Oh Dang...  their shipping and handling charges are more than the cost of the mouthpiece.  Maybe I will check out some antique stores around here and see what they have.

wds

Keep your eye on this seller - they usually have a SC mouthpiece for sale every week.  Great prices too.

http://tinyurl.com/poflnvv
Dave

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: wds on September 02, 2014, 07:55:54 PM
Keep your eye on this seller - they usually have a SC mouthpiece for sale every week.  Great prices too.

http://tinyurl.com/poflnvv

A while back, I won an auction for an SC mouthpiece from her.  I asked if she had another, and I bought two from her. 

Larry

Landshark

Hi Ed, nice phone, great that you can actually use it.   I too have a SC wooden wall phone, picked it up at an antique market outside of Waterloo Ont.  Old phones seem to be cheaper in Ontario than BC.  Anyways, you have the advice on the mouth piece, don't think you are missing any part, just need right diameter.  As for age, what I do know is that mine is stamped with model 897KP.  I could not find anything about 897 model but did find out what KP means, it is the model with selective ringing button. Mine also has a condenser, but the label is missing so don't know the MF, likely 1.   Very similar to 896 that was made in the plain face front from about 1910 on to late 40's?  I see some numbers/letters stamped in the bottom of the wood of you phone, they may show model and what I think is a serial number, mine has "9L944B" stamped beside the model number. 

The difference between your SG and mine is that you door opens to the left, where mine opens to the right.  I read that they changed the door about mid 1910s.  Also, mine has holes for a rectangle base for the transmitter long arm, but now has the fancy base same as yours. Don't know if it originally had the rectangular base like the Northern Electric phone shown in the picture.   I have a 3 sets of holes at the top for carbon lightning arresters and lines, in later years they moved the "pins" into the interior of the case.  I don't have the actual bolts and saw toothed carbon sets but have attached a picture of what they look like.  (PS anyone with these for sale please PM me).

So my guess is that yours is from anywhere between 1910-1930.  After about 1920 I read they made the shelf steep sloped and shortened the transmitter arm. 

The wooden phone next to the SG is a N317F from about 1912-1940.

Bob