News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Wiring up the No. 6 batteries

Started by War Horse, February 02, 2017, 09:48:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

War Horse

Anyone know what the common practice was for wiring up the batteries?  I know about putting them in series, but I'm talking more about the fit and finish.  The cord they used to go down to the batteries, did it have a spade end for the screw heads?  How was the wire attached to the funky clips on the batteries themselves?  Was there a particular color of cord they used?

Jim Stettler

Bare end wire  that will fit into the Fahnstock clip. push down on the clip and slide the wire in, when released the clip should hold it.  Sometimes the wire was coiled. You can wrap the extra wire around a pencil to shape it into a coil.
JMO,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Phonesrfun

Wire was generally solid copper with a brown-ish fabric cover.  Plain wire ends that, as Jim said, can be slipped into the Fahnstock clips, or if the battery had screw-type threaded posts, the wire was simply wrapped around the post and screwed down.  I have not seen any with spade ends. 

-Bill G

War Horse

Thanks guys!  Sounds pretty straight forward.  Now I'm off to the Wanted section of the forums to see if I can get some good cloth wire.  I checked a couple of websites and even eBay and the smallest amount I can get is 25 feet!  I only need a foot or two at best.  Thanks again.