News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Western Electric glass front 240/Sunburst Tandem Restoration

Started by Sargeguy, June 28, 2018, 10:09:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sargeguy

CLeaning up nicely after I removed a couple of layers of old shellac.  Underneathe all the grime the nickel was mostly intact on the binding posts and they polished up well. I used a steer-horn hook as it originally would have had.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Key2871

That steer horn hook definitely makes it now. Looking good,
And that wood, looks gorgeous, the nickel shining, keep up the good work! What I find!!
KEN

RB

That's beautiful...he said drooling... ;D

oldguy

Gary

Sargeguy

Thanks, it is almost finished
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Jim Stettler

You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Sargeguy

Thanks! I lucked out that it cleaned up pretty easily.  There were a couple of small sections that I had to restain, and a few more spots that needed shellac, but the finish is mostly original and the areas that were shielded from the elements match the other parts.  The top box is lighter than the rest of the phone.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

I  found a Western Electric tandem with a TYPE 44 walnut top box that was for sale.  I consider myself lucky because this phone has not had a #5 arm attached to it.   Originally these came with #242 arms, but so many people were getting shocked by them that ABT Co. replaced the vast majority of them with the #5 arm.  This process involved drilling several holes in the backboard and removing the L&LD placard. This phone was not modified, and as a result when it was converted to a 240, the #10 arm was placed using the same holes as the 242. 
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

This is the last time I buy a  sunburst tandem from IKEA!!!
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

HarrySmith

Is that the one in the picture from the other day?
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Sargeguy

Yes.  It came from a collector in Australia who broke it down for shipping.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

HarrySmith

WOW! I guess "broke" is the operative word here!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Sargeguy

The parts all fit back together, the side panels of the battery box are made of two piecec of wood, as is the shelf.  They slide into the shelf vial a dovetailed joint.  The box is stableized by two battery shelfs.  The front door is removeable.  It is an interesting arrangement.  I'll post pictures when I take it apart again to clean.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

HarrySmith

Really? It is supposed to come apart like that? Pretty cool.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Sargeguy

I wouldn't say it was designed to be taken apart, more like simplified construction. The halves of the side panel slide into the front half of the writing shelf.  This is repeated for the other halves.  Then the two shelves installed.   The box and shelf are screwed to the backboard f
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409