News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Our Barn Lamps

Started by FABphones, September 10, 2018, 08:21:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FABphones

I often see these lamp threads so thought I would join in and show you our lamps.

We don't collect them. We just have a couple. They live in the barn, mostly forgotten about  :-[   ...as you can see from the pic, they have a bodyguard.

Purchased in France for a few euros each and made by ALG and Marine, I know nothing about them except that the glass is good and that overall they appear to be in pretty decent condition.

BUT

My pride and joy of lamp finds is the one (of a pair) shown on photo 4. These two lamps are truly beautiful. Approximately 75cm each in height, they need a bit of tidying up but would once, many many years ago, have sat either side of a very grand horse drawn carriage. I wish I could trace the livery of these.

Under the two tiers, it looks like the glow/heat of the lamp was designed to come up and under each? (I know nothing about lamp design). They are French and I bought them from a Vide Grenier in France a couple of years ago, 15 euros for the pair. They are probably my favourite find ever. My plan is to tidy them up and place them either side of the fireplace in my new phone room once it's completed.
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

skyrider

Very nice and a great price, you have a very good eye. Bet they will look great in your phone room. I sold 3 Bell System lanterns at the Lancaster show in June. I knew I did not want them for my collection but knew someone would.

Bill

Russ Kirk

wow,  that is really nice. Please post photos when you are done and the are lit.
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

FABphones

Quote from: skyrider on September 10, 2018, 08:57:22 AM
Very nice and a great price, you have a very good eye. Bet they will look great in your phone room. I sold 3 Bell System lanterns at the Lancaster show in June. I knew I did not want them for my collection but knew someone would.

Bill

Thank you. I actually walked away from them once as I promised myself that day I wouldn't spend more than 10€ per item. Then I thought, hang on, there are a pair, that is less than 10€ each...  I would have been kicking myself for a long time if I hadn't got them. Such a low price and I took the risk of loosing them.

Do you have photos of yours before they sold?

Quote from: Russ Kirk on September 10, 2018, 10:16:26 AM
wow,  that is really nice. Please post photos when you are done and the are lit.

They are very unusual. Whatever lighting/mounting we do my one rule is no holes or other adaptations to be made to them. It will be easy enough to make a mount they slide into. I will need to do a bit more carriage lamp research to see how they would have been mounted originally. In fact, you've just reminded me, there are some nice little old carriages on display fairly locally - I'll pop down and take a closer look at them. Thanks!

For the illumination itself I'm thinking LEDs. If the stem can't be used I'll buy a string of White LEDs on a timer and pop them behind the glass. Early days yet and these are just my initial thoughts. I'll bet you guys out there have some much better ideas...?

The phone room itself is a long way off completion. It is currently little more than a small barn room, Just dusty cob walls (that's straw, mud and stone, and other unsavoury stuff), with a bricked in fireplace. It needs windows, a proper ceiling, the lot. I'm in the process of clearing it out.

I will def do pics!  :)  Thanks for the interest!!

AL_as_needed

Really interesting pieces. I am not sure I have seen carriage "running lights" that fancy before. Welcome to the lantern/lamp area.... as if phone-itis wasnt bad enough...this is stage two...  ;D
TWinbrook7

Doug Rose

Quote from: FABphonesMy plan is to tidy them up and place them either side of the fireplace in my new phone room once it's completed

CJ......a Phone Room is never complete. But building it sure is fun.....Doug
Kidphone

skyrider

QuoteDo you have photos of yours before they sold.

I have pictures of my tables that show two of them. The nicest one was a tall one like the rusted one only it was red and in nice condition. It sold pretty quick, before I had a chance to take pictures. The rusted lantern had a red globe with Bell System etched on it. Sorry they are hard to see.

( Image "6BB278ED-5A9D-4181-AA0A-080C18706043.jpeg" is corrupt, can't be opened or displayed )

19and41

Nice looking lanterns!  I want to find a couple to have for light in the event of power failure.  With my kerosene heater I should be ready for some emergencies.  The old lamps and lanterns are somewhat comforting in difficult times.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

Doug Rose

Quote from: skyrider on September 11, 2018, 11:13:16 AM

I have pictures of my tables that show two of them. The nicest one was a tall one like the rusted one only it was red and in nice condition. It sold pretty quick, before I had a chance to take pictures. The rusted lantern had a red globe with Bell System etched on it. Sorry they are hard to see.

( Image "6BB278ED-5A9D-4181-AA0A-080C18706043.jpeg" is corrupt, can't be opened or displayed )

Bill...I have sent you a PM....Doug
Kidphone

FABphones

Quote from: skyrider on September 11, 2018, 11:13:16 AM

I have pictures of my tables......

Interesting lamps, but - oh no - some nice phones on those tables too.  :-[

HarrySmith

Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

FABphones

Quote from: FABphones on September 10, 2018, 11:43:45 AM
.....there are some nice little old carriages on display.....   I'll pop down and take a closer look at them.

I took myself off this weekend to have a look at the carriages/lamps. Whilst there I took a peek through the doorway of this beautiful building....

Guess what I found (complete with cobwebs)...  :)  Cue groans of ohhh-nooo from those with me....  ;D

Pic 1 - Entrance
Pic 2 - Two Tone Grey Wall Mounted Socotel S63
Pic 3 - By coincidence, we have one as well

;D