News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Antique Vtg American Bell Telephone Co Wall Telephone Receiver Ringer Box

Started by Stubbypylon, October 27, 2018, 04:16:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stubbypylon

This is a cobbled phone in case anyone was considering bidding.  While it has a rare and early speaking tube transmitter, unfortunately someone has removed the 6 digit banana tag and put a 225 tag.  the side is marked Prop. of American Bell but it looks like the door is marked WE (very faint but that's what I think it says).  The box is not a speaking tube box.  The transmitter hole has a gap that can also be seen from the front.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/253941232148
Craig Stanowski

Fabius

First a disclaimer: I am not an expert on early Bell sets. At first glance I thought it was some type of 293 set. But I see it's marked TYPE 128A on the inside of the door. I'm out of town so I can't look up what is a TYPE 128A.

The number tag on the transmitter is in a font I have not seen on a tag before. But notice that the number 2 on the tag seems to match the font of the number 2 on the face plate.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

Stubbypylon

Tom, I'm no expert on early bell sets either, but I do have a speaking phone.  The transmitter banana tags on the speaking phones were numbered 6 digits like the later 7 digit transmitters.  To me the 128A looks like an interphone of some sort which would make sense since they had flush transmitters like that.
Craig Stanowski

Sargeguy

I agree, it looks like someone modified a later Interphone with the earlier transmitter.  Interphones were not always serviced by the Bell System, there were small electrical shops that maintained them.  They used parts from a variety of sources, including surplus Western Electric parts.  The transmitter was probably surplus so the serial # tag had been removed.   
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

wds

Here's one that sold last year - exact same setup as this one.  Same transmitter also.  Maybe this isn't a "one off".
Dave

Stubbypylon

Dave, Thanks for the picture.  Is the transmitter marked with the patent dates and Prop of Bell around the face (can't tell from the picture you posted)?
Craig Stanowski

Fabius

Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

wds

The box seems to have all the same markings and patent dates.  The receiver arm and switch on the black box seems older.  The type 128 is on the side of the box below the receiver arm.  It's hard to read anything on the transmitter - it's the older bevel edge transmitter face, but the tag looks like it might be a 329. 
Dave

Stubbypylon

Thanks Dave. Yours looks to be in original condition.  The ebay listing, in my opinion, had the transmitter replaced at some point.  I've only seen transmitter faces having "Prop of American Bell" and the patent dates on speaking tube phones.
Craig Stanowski

Sargeguy

Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409