News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Bought 3 Slot Pay Phone need help Identifying phone and changing way it operate

Started by Bob S, December 12, 2018, 09:04:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob S

Bought  3 Slot Pay Phone need help Identifying phone and changing way it operate. I would like to have a fare value on it if you were selling The phone I hooked it up and it works I can dial out on it the card says when some one answers phone you must deposit 2 nickel's. I would like that function if at all possible.

rdelius

Watch out for Phoneco's replicas and ones that have been "rewired" by hacks.Sets can make calls with the origional wiring with minor or no changes.

Bob S

Thank you I have bought an an older one (Original Gray Telephone Pay Station Company & Western Electric Chrome Payphone) on eBay item number eBay item number:  323594101626

Let me know what you think Payed 359.00 for it shipped And any ideas on how to mount to wall.

FABphones

This is the shorter format you need for your links to work -
https://www.ebay.com/itm/323594101626

I saw that listing. I like it, but I know next to nothing about paystations. One issue for me was no keys to upper housing and so no photos of inside.

Am very interested to see inside when you receive it and get it open. Do please add photos.  :)

In the meantime I've attached three of the seller photos for you:
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Bob S

Thanks to all of you now that I have one. Should I close out the wanted or should I keep open to add pictures when I get it.

poplar1

Ebay link for the Gray/WE/AE/?:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-Gray-Telephone-Pay-Station-Company-amp-Western-Electric-Chrome-Payphone-/323594101626

Your phone was originally manufactured by the Gray Telephone Pay Station Co. before 1934, when Western Electric started making its own pay phones. It was originally painted black (probably) or bronze and had a separate WE transmitter mounted on the front and a receiver on the side. The dial was also Western Electric.

Like many pay phones, this one has been rebuilt and modified many times since the early 1930s. Notably, the chrome finish was added, the hook was changed to accommodate the handset (rather than the original receiver), the dial was changed to Automatic Electric, and a modern handset was added. This was probably done by one of the independent refurbishers such as Tele-Service (of Kevil, Kentucky) or _________?___ (Lunt Ave., Chicago). However, it may have subsequently had the standard retailer hack (adding a ringer inside, removing the coin relay, etc.)
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

poplar1

Not sure if the link I posted worked, since it is a completed item. This one does (but I don't know how to shorten it).

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=323594101626&_sacat=0&rt=nc&LH_Complete=1  (short as it can be)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-Gray-Telephone-Pay-Station-Company-Western-Electric-Chrome-Payphone-/323594101626
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Bob S

Can't wait to get it. The seller had this to say about it. If I don't want it I can always return.
One genuine original 3-slot coin telephone made by The Gray Telephone Pay Station Company and Western Electric, Inc..  It is complete with two coin vault door keys, one upper housing key, a coin box,
DESCRIPTION
This payphone is in outstanding condition.  It is hard to find one so nice and this old with everything included.    This rare and historic bit of americana will be a lasting treasure and a perfect gift.
  This phone is one of a very few inscribed on the front panel with ..
                         The Gray Telephone Pay Station Company
                         and Western Electric Company Inc. makers
It dates from the mid 1930's, I believe, as that was when Gray and Western Electric ended their partnership.  (William Gray filed the original payphone patent in 1889.)  The phone appears all original over the years by General Telephone (GTE), but it is exactly as it was when retired from service. 

Normal wear of the chrome The old-school chrome rotary dial is straight and turns smoothly.  The handset with armored cord is original and undamaged, .  All of the electrical and mechanical parts are original and in working order.
The payphone will work on any standard phone landline accomplished by simply tying  the coin relays in position.
None of the original wiring has been removed or altered. 

Calls can be received and answered on internet phone service, but dialing out on some ISP's may require a pulse-tone adapter (available online).   However, many cable ISP's do accept rotary (pulse) dialing.
Coins would not be required to call, but they will drop into the locking vault with the nostalgic "ding" for nickels, "ding-ding" for dimes, and a "bong" for quarters.   
Inside the vault is an original coin box with its ingenious latching lid to prevent employee theft.
Keys included fit bottom lockbox, but not the upper housing

HarrySmith

Right away the seller has no idea of what he has. As has already been said, the original coin relay is missing and it has an indoction coil installed - NOT ORIGINAL. No idea if anything else has been changed. If you are happy with the way it works, congratulations, it is a pretty good looking phone.

Please post lots of pictures when you get it. We all LOVE pictures!

Seller eBay Description:  "Original Gray Telephone Pay Station Company &  Western Electric Chrome Mechanical Coin Operated Payphone

Chrome will polish up great if desired, I have not attempted to wipe down, shown just as found

One genuine original 3-slot coin telephone made by The Gray Telephone Pay Station Company and Western Electric, Inc..  It is complete with two coin vault door keys, one upper housing key, a coin box,

DESCRIPTION

This payphone is in outstanding condition.  It is hard to find one so nice and this old with everything included.    This rare and historic bit of Americana will be a lasting treasure and a perfect gift.

This phone is one of a very few inscribed on the front panel with ..

The Gray Telephone Pay Station Company
                         and Western Electric Company Inc. makers

It dates from the mid 1930's, I believe, as that was when Gray and Western Electric ended their partnership.  (William Gray filed the original payphone patent in 1889.)  The phone appears all original over the years by General Telephone (GTE), but it is exactly as it was when retired from service. 

Normal wear of the chrome The old-school chrome rotary dial is straight and turns smoothly.  The handset with armored cord is original and undamaged, .  All of the electrical and mechanical parts are original and in working order.

The payphone will work on any standard phone landline accomplished by simply tying  the coin relays in position.

None of the original wiring has been removed or altered. 

Calls can be received and answered on internet phone service, but dialing out on some ISP's may require a pulse-tone adapter (available online).   However, many cable ISP's do accept rotary (pulse) dialing.

Coins would not be required to call, but they will drop into the locking vault with the nostalgic "ding" for nickels, "ding-ding" for dimes, and a "bong" for quarters.   

Inside the vault is an original coin box with its ingenious latching lid to prevent employee theft.

Keys included fit bottom lockbox, but not the upper housing "
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

rdelius

Bob S

Now that I have some great input on it does any body have parts to make it original. I payed 359.00 for it I am not Shure what model it is I would like any suggestions. On restoring it. or is it worth restoring Looks great the way it is. The keys come with it and I will have to get it to see all the facts.

HarrySmith

Once you have it and can get some good detailed pictures we will be able to identify it and determine what is needed. I am sure someone will have what you need.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

RotarDad

Bob - That phone looks sharp as it sits, and will look great on display.  The description makes it sound like the coin track and relay are still installed, which hopefully they are.  The phone appears to have an early Gray vault (parts were often recycled) but it is in a 60s or 70s configuration now, which is fine.   If it is missing some parts from the 70s, those should be pretty easy to find and install, if you want to.  It is always a bit of a gamble buying a payphone without pics of the inside, but at least this one had a detailed description.  I think you'll be happy with it.  The first payphone I bought had no relay or coin track and other parts were missing.....  With some effort, and forum help, I got it all back together..... :)
Paul

Bob S

Thank you Paul First thing I plan to do is open top side see what's their take pictures and post them. Hope fully I will have a functioning phone that will operate when money is deposited when done I have been reading up on controllers and networks for it. But Like I said I will have to wait and go from their Thanks to every one on their input on my project greatly appreciated.

Jim Stettler

As a rule of Thumb: You can check for a coin track on a locked 3 slot telephone by dropping it on it's back from about  1 inch  high. If the coin track is there, you should be able to hear the coin gongs. Keep in mind this only indicates the coin track is present. If the coin track is missing then I  assume the rest of the guts are also most likely missing.
Just a rule of thumb,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.