News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

New England Telephone TYPE 111 extension ringer

Started by Sargeguy, January 21, 2013, 08:38:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sargeguy

I rubbed in a coat of Walnut Restor-a-Finish and threw the metal parts in the rock tumbler overnight.  The parts came out nice, no more rust or crud, and it evened the patina among the different screws so it looks like they've aged at the same rate.  The wood looks better since the sanding.  I plan to put a coat on it, and am weighing my options.  I like the look of Tung oil but it's labor intensive.

BEFORE:

AFTER:

Probably worth about $15 now!!!
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

I have managed to find a wax ball type ringer from a TYPE 57 box that was damaged.  I also located the correct bell mounts.  I put a coat of shellac over the wood now that the Tung oil has dried.  I need to swap out the binding posts for the earlier type and find a pair of 4" gongs.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

Here is a size comparison with the TYPE 57 box.  The TYPE 111 is the largest WE ringer box of that era that I know of.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

Thanks to a tip from popular1 I was able to pick up this ringer box:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/301282050993

It looks identical to the TYPE 111 except that it uses 3" gongs rather than 4"
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

Actually this is not the same size as a TYPE 111.  It is larger.  And those are not 3" gongs-they are 4".  It looks as if the TYPE 111 also had larger bell mounts at some point, judging from the holes.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

The brassed-out bells and nuts will need to be nickel plated, but in the meantime here is a mock-up of the TYPE 111 with all the correct parts:
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

Jumbo brackets:
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409