News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Grommet needed

Started by wds, April 08, 2013, 07:28:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wds

Does anyone know a good source for these grommets?  I need about 50 - 100 to hang some wood phones.  The barrel is about 3/16", by 5/8" long.  Wouldn't mind some a little shorter also.  I found them at the usual phone supply shops, but the price at $1 each is a bit high.  Any help is appreciated.
Dave

DavePEI

Quote from: wds on April 08, 2013, 07:28:51 PM
Does anyone know a good source for these grommets?  I need about 50 - 100 to hang some wood phones.  The barrel is about 3/16", by 5/8" long.  Wouldn't mind some a little shorter also.  I found them at the usual phone supply shops, but the price at $1 each is a bit high.  Any help is appreciated.
Once upon a time, Odis used to sell them. But he sold out to Don Woodbury, so I would contact Oldphoneworks to see if they carry them.

You could also make a reasonable facsimile using brake tubing and a flare tool.

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

wds

Yes, I already checked with them $1.25 each.  I'm sure these are available somewhere at a more reasonable price.  Just need to find a cheaper source. 
Dave

HowardPgh

That grommet looks like the insert used in plastic tubing when used with compression fittings.
Usually available at a good hardware store. Try McMaster-Carr they seem to have everything.
Howard

wds

Bingo!  compression fitting for plastic tubing.  25 cents sure beats $1 each plus the high shipping charges. 
Dave

DavePEI

Quote from: wds on April 10, 2013, 01:06:17 PM
Bingo!  compression fitting for plastic tubing.  25 cents sure beats $1 each plus the high shipping charges. 
Post a link when you find a source, please?

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

wds

Local Zettlers, Ace, Home Depot and Lowes.  They only had 4 at the first hardware store I hit, so I will make my rounds and let you know which store had the best part and price.  The correct size is 5/16" for future reference
Dave

wds

An update to the Grommet hunt.  Found a nice insert at Ace Hardware.  Part # 4033270.  Part # is off the box, but it doesn't come up on a search at the Ace Hardware website.  5/16", 59 cents each.  I cleaned out all 25!  This one is a little different than the one at Phoneco.  Smaller head, and 1/2" long so it fits some of my wood boxes better.  Also, the smaller head is a lot closer in size to the original brass inserts on a lot of my phones.  2nd picture is the new grommet, 3rd picture is the original. 

The hunt continues for the perfect grommet.
Dave

wds

I finally found the exact brass insert that I've been looking for.  I found two sizes to use, depending on the size of the hole in the wood box.  I originally went to Lowes for $1.53, then found them cheaper at Home Depot and Menards for 99ยข (for qty 2).  I've noticed lately that Lowes prices have really gone through the roof. Unfortunately the brass inserts come as a kit, so you throw half the parts in the trash.  I'm still trying to find out if I can buy the brass inserts separately from Watts for a cheaper price.  But even as a kit, they are cheaper than the phone supply stores.  Plus no shipping costs!  
Dave

Sargeguy

Those should be fairly simple to fabricate from brass tubing, I will give it a shot and post the results.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

cihensley@aol.com

Use the proper size (depends on screw size) of decorative washers. There is no need to sleeve the hole itself.

Chuck

wds

I like the sleeve.  When you drive the screw, the sleeve takes all the pressure instead of the 100 year old wood.  In most cases the sleeve is the same length/thickness as the wood, so there is no pressure on the wood.  Unfortunately these sleeves are a little too long for some of the wood phones, like the backs of the fiddleback, so for those I have to use a grommet.  But they work great on most of the wood phones.  
Dave