News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Help w/ a dial ID?

Started by Come in Nighthawk, June 16, 2010, 04:29:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Come in Nighthawk

The dial is marked "NE 6M" and would seem to be dated "2-72."  Both elements are stamped onto the back of the dial in black ink...

Would this indicate its a Canadian "Northern Electric?"  If so, its married to a W.E. B1 mount.  Was that a natural if not often-encountered match?   ???

Thanks in advance.  :D

Dennis Markham

NE is more than likely Northern Electric.  W.E. had a 5M dial for the 5302's.  The "M" for "modified" I have been told.  Perhaps the #6 dial was for a 5320 phone?  I don't know that I've ever seen a Northern 5302.  A #6 dial would not have been used in a B1 mount.  Any chance of getting a photo??

Come in Nighthawk

Quote from: Dennis Markham on June 16, 2010, 06:41:30 PM
  Any chance of getting a photo??

Will do.  Its late now, so I'll run one up, and post it first thing tomorrow!  ;)

Doug Rose

Quote from: Dennis Markham on June 16, 2010, 06:41:30 PM
NE is more than likely Northern Electric.  W.E. had a 5M dial for the 5302's.  The "M" for "modified" I have been told.  Perhaps the #6 dial was for a 5320 phone?  I don't know that I've ever seen a Northern 5302.  A #6 dial would not have been used in a B1 mount.  Any chance of getting a photo??
Dennis ...I agree, I have never seen a 5M that was not in a 5302. I was  told the M meant modified as well. A 6M would follow the logic, although I have never seen one or have I seen a Northern Electric 5302.

Paul F......Did NE make a 5302??.....Doug
Kidphone

Come in Nighthawk

Okay troops.

General vue of the fone:

Overview of the mount with base removed:

Date of the fone?:

Closeup of the back of the dial:

Any help?  Basically, is this a Northern Elec. dial?  If so, thoughts on what its doing installed in a W.E. B1 mount?  :o

Doug Rose

You never want a #6 dial on a B1. Preferably a #2 dial, but a 4H will do nicely, especially one with the patent dates around the edge. My thoughts on it being on a B1, Someone tried to make a working phone out of the parts they had...Doug
Kidphone

Come in Nighthawk

No?  ??? I mean by that one-word question, you're warning me, "do not put a 6-dial on a B1?"  What happens when you do?  It doesn't spontaneously combust... errr, does it??  :o

I got this one on eBay.  In fact, it _is_ my intent, when I have time, to replace this dial.  Didn't think it belonged, but that was why I was asking for help to ID it.

So a W.E. "2" dial is "best" but a "4H" would be OK on a B1?  What about a "5H?"

And as to that, can you use a W.E. (or a N.E.) "6" on a W.E. D1 mount?  I assume from what I have read (on this forum and in books) that a W.E. "4" dial is "normal" (or "natural"), but that a W.E. "5" dial is OK?  In fact, in later years the "5" would have been a normal Bell System or affiliate technician's first resort as a replacement part on a W.E. D1 mount to hold it in service until such time as the D1 was replaced at the "station" (in the customer's home or business) by a later type of phone?

Many thanks in advance to all additional answers!!!   ;D

Doug Rose

Yes...it will spontaneously combust!! Be very careful.  But most of all, they are just not the correct dial for the B1. The 5H and the 6M will work. On a B1 the dial sits on the phone, a D1 the dial sits inside the phone. A #2 or #4 with the patent dates look cool, the #2 with the screwed on finger stop looks best. Just my opinion.....Doug
Kidphone

paul-f

Quote from: Kidphone on June 17, 2010, 08:27:56 AM
<snip>
Paul F......Did NE make a 5302??.....Doug

I don't recall seeing one.  (Of course that doesn't mean they don't exist.)  Perhaps our Canadian members know.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Come in Nighthawk

Umm, to reiterate one of the allied questions?  Is "329," as "painted" in red on the inside of the mount (see photo above), the date of production of the B1 -- i.e. March 1929??  ???

Kenny C

are you serious
Quote from: Kidphone on June 17, 2010, 10:42:58 AM
Yes...it will spontaneously combust!! Be very careful. 
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Doug Rose

Quote from: Kennyc1955 on June 17, 2010, 01:40:37 PM
are you serious
Kenny....it was an obvious poor attempt at humor as I thought the question was supposed to be. You are safe, as far as I know, no dial will spontaneously combust. I haven't blown up a phone yet.....Doug
Kidphone

Come in Nighthawk

Quote from: Kidphone on June 17, 2010, 02:05:25 PM
Quote from: Kennyc1955 on June 17, 2010, 01:40:37 PM
are you serious
Kenny....it was an obvious poor attempt at humor as I thought the question was supposed to be. You are safe, as far as I know, no dial will spontaneously combust. I haven't blown up a phone yet.....Doug

:D Yup, the reference to "spontaneous combustion" was meant "tongue in cheek"  ::) albeit, the sentiment behind it was honestly vectored at asking if there would be any problem, even if simply that the dial just wouldn't/couldn't function because some sort of connectivity-thing was not going to do its "connectivity thing," IYGMD? 

Anyway, appreciate all the comments so far, and will happily accept any other advice on this subject!!   :)

Kenny C

i just don't get things sometimes ;D
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Dan/Panther

Kenny;
If a comment seems a little over the top for you, first reaction is to consider it a joke.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson