News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Need help ID'ing Type 40 Monophone Ringer similar to AE Type 45 ringer

Started by RotoTech99, May 10, 2015, 01:01:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack Ryan

I think Mr AE it trying to confuse the issue here.

The AE 40 (Model 41) used a Type 45 ringer; this is described in the 1957 AE catalogue TA-57. In the same catalogue, the Type 80 ringer is described as used in the AE 80 and similar telephones.

In 1975, GTE practice 997-308-500 "Ringers Shop Procedure" describes the Type 45 ringer as the ringer used in the AE 80. In other words, the Type 45 ringer used in the AE 40 (Model 41) is not the same as the Type 45 ringer used the AE 80.

I have  never seen an AE 80 ringer in an AE 40.

I don't have enough AE 40s to be able to demonstrate this but with respect to the original Type 45 ringer (as used in the AE 40):
1. The SL and Freq Ringer heel pieces and brackets may be interchangeable
2. They may have been interchanged.

I have seen both brackets in AE 40s but not always with one or the other type of ringer.

Jack

rdelius

I rebuilt many freq ringers in type 40  sets by interchanging the clapper pivot etc out of type 80s.I used the older coils with the fiber parts if I had bad coils.You also had to make sure the capacatior was proper for a st line ringer.

RotoTech99

I was thinking the coils could be, if they are dimensionally the same, and accept the same hardware.

You couldn't use the Type 45 SL from a Type 80 in the Type 40 because the front piece has a extension for a capacitor to mount on it, and the mounting points to attach it to the base are positioned differently than on the D-56515/D-56516 ringers.

But if you put the front piece and its hardware (Straight line or Frequency) for the one used in the Type 40 on the ringer from the Type 80, it ought to match up dimensionally.

The only other thing would be you'd probably have to use the heel piece and the respective armature/clapper assemblies from the D-56515/D=56516 ringer(s) to finish the job on the straight line or frequency ringer that was rebuilt.

Jack Ryan

Quote from: rdelius on May 10, 2015, 10:45:42 PM
I rebuilt many freq ringers in type 40  sets by interchanging the clapper pivot etc out of type 80s.I used the older coils with the fiber parts if I had bad coils.You also had to make sure the capacatior was proper for a st line ringer.

Thanks for that - the parts *looked* interchangeable but I had not tried it. I think I have seen evidence of such rebuilt ringers when trying to classify AE 40s.

Jack

G-Man

Jack, you are correct about it seeming that AE attempted to maintain confusion by sometimes providing conflicting documentation. However, type-45, 56548 ringers intended for use with AE80 and similar instruments, had a "C" as part of their suffix.

Jack Ryan

Quote from: G-Man on May 11, 2015, 12:04:49 AM
Jack, you are correct about it seeming that AE attempted to maintain confusion by sometimes providing conflicting documentation. However, type-45, 56548 ringers intended for use with AE80 and similar instruments, had a "C" as part of their suffix.

The SL ringer is not listed - I can't remember if that also has a C in the suffix.

What could be really confusing is that those ringers were previously called Type 80 ringers. Not only that, the new Type 45 ringers won't fit where the original Type 45 ringer was used. The ID re-use assumes that there are no more AE 40s to be rebuilt (and that was probably the case).

Jack

G-Man

You seem to be confusing the fact that type-45 covered a large class of ringers, not only those for use in type80 instruments. Also, there has been a large amount of discussion regarding AE40 sets but none regarding the original ringer number, which according to the catalogs, was D-56441-A for a straight-line ringer.

Quote from: RotoTech99 on May 10, 2015, 11:09:37 PM
I was thinking the coils could be, if they are dimensionally the same, and accept the same hardware.

You couldn't use the Type 45 SL from a Type 80 in the Type 40 because the front piece has a extension for a capacitor to mount on it, and the mounting points to attach it to the base are positioned differently than on the D-56515/D-56516 ringers.

But if you put the front piece and its hardware (Straight line or Frequency) for the one used in the Type 40 on the ringer from the Type 80, it ought to match up dimensionally.

The only other thing would be you'd probably have to use the heel piece and the respective armature/clapper assemblies from the D-56515/D=56516 ringer(s) to finish the job on the straight line or frequency ringer that was rebuilt.

G-Man

As I recall, type-42 Type-48 were used for straight-line ringers in type-80 instruments. I'll see if I can find their catalog number.

Quote from: Jack Ryan on May 11, 2015, 12:45:54 AM
Quote from: G-Man on May 11, 2015, 12:04:49 AM

The SL ringer is not listed - I can't remember if that also has a C in the suffix.

What could be really confusing is that those ringers were previously called Type 80 ringers. Not only that, the new Type 45 ringers won't fit where the original Type 45 ringer was used. The ID re-use assumes that there are no more AE 40s to be rebuilt (and that was probably the case).

Jack

G-Man

Here is a copy of the catalog description for type-48 straight-line ringers.

G-Man

Another description from an earlier catalog prior to the use of the type-48.

Jack Ryan

I think we are just demonstrating that the nomenclature is all over the place.

The attachments in order (I hope) are:

• 1957 version of a Type 45 Ringer
  • 1957 version of a Type 80 Ringer
  • 1975 version of a Type 45 Ringer (which is what a Type 80 Ringer used to be).

The Type 80 Ringer split into:

• A Type 45 Ringer (Frequency selective) and
  • A Type 48 Ringer Straight Line

As I said, the nomenclature is all over the place.

Regards
Jack

G-Man

I wholeheartedly agree!!

Quote from: Jack Ryan on May 11, 2015, 01:34:31 AM
I think we are just demonstrating that the nomenclature is all over the place.

The attachments in order (I hope) are:

• 1957 version of a Type 45 Ringer
  • 1957 version of a Type 80 Ringer
  • 1975 version of a Type 45 Ringer (which is what a Type 80 Ringer used to be).
The Type 80 Ringer split into:

• A Type 45 Ringer (Frequency selective) and
  • A Type 48 Ringer Straight Line
As I said, the nomenclature is all over the place.

Regards
Jack

RotoTech99

I'm inclined to agree with you, the nomenclature is all over the place in regard to my inquiry.

On AE47 sets, SL was the code for a straight line ringer in the set, frequency ringers installed were probably identified by the frequency number, or by the code letter for the frequency.

I also found on the AE47 page of a catalog I was sent the codes for the dial options and handset cord options as they would be marked on the set. The codes were for the black version, and did not mention earlier catalog features like the cutaway fingerwheel or lift butler.

The extensicord was mentioned though.

Those codes might apply to the Type 40 as well.