"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Subset Question

Started by karlm, July 29, 2016, 01:38:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

karlm

Hello,

I'm new to the world of old phones.  I recently picked up a WE 202 along with a 634 subset.  The phone and subset seem to be working well.  I can dial out and receive calls.  My question is, when I dial numbers I get a slight ring out of the subset with each number I dial.  Is this normal or is there a possibility something may need adjusting?  Thanks for any help.

Karl

poplar1

The clapper should not touch either gong while the phone is not ringing. Should have at least 1/32" air gap.
The biasing spring may be missing from your subset.
Try reversing the polarity of the line: if L1 has red wire from wall jack and L2-Y has green, try green to L1 and red to L2.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

unbeldi

Quote from: karlm on July 29, 2016, 01:38:30 PM
Hello,

I'm new to the world of old phones.  I recently picked up a WE 202 along with a 634 subset.  The phone and subset seem to be working well.  I can dial out and receive calls.  My question is, when I dial numbers I get a slight ring out of the subset with each number I dial.  Is this normal or is there a possibility something may need adjusting?  Thanks for any help.

Karl

Bell tap is pretty common. The ringer in your subset should have an adjustment for mechanical bias of the clapper.  Depending on the type of ringer installed—over time, the 634 was refurbished with several types—the adjustment type varies slightly.  The older types have a coil spring attached to the armature with the other end having a string that is wound on a turnable brass 'screw'.  Is actually not a screw as it doesn't have a thread, it is just pressed into the mounting rod.  But with it, one can tighten the spring just a little bit to eliminate bell tap.   The string is often torn, causing the spring to get lost too.   Later ringers (B1A) have a straight spring wire that can be locked into one of three positions for low, medium, and high tension.

Another solution may be to simply reverse the telephone line polarity, as this provides a little bit of an electromagnetic bias, that may just be enough.

unbeldi

Welcome to the forum!

We always love to see pics.  :D
It helps to give more definitive answers, too.

karlm

Hello,

Thanks for the replies.

The air gap checks out OK.  I was able to adjust the tension on the bias spring and that seems to have solved the issue.  There was almost no tension on the spring before I adjusted it.  Thanks for the help.

Karl